From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypervisor-HyperTerminal: How to Write Texts to HyperTerminal from a Real-Time VI

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using Hypervisor on my PXI system. With "Build Specifications" I built my RT application into a standalone rtEXE file and set it as the startup VI for my RT system. It seems to work, since I got information from my "Hypervisor-HyperTerminal" while rebooting the RT system.  It writes, "Startup Application: d:\ni-rt\startup\RTMain.rtexe". However, I cannot see in which status my RT application is running or whether any error occurs.  Therefore, I'm thinking to write texts or information from my RT application to the HyperTerminal.

I wanted to use VISA to access the serial port of the HyperTerminal from the real-time system side. I used the LabVIEW example "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi" from "smplserl.llb".  Under real-time system I found only one VISA resource name, which is "COM1".  It seems, I can successfully write texts to the port "COM1", because no error were shown in the example VI. But the texts didn't appear on the HyperTerminal.

Do you have any idea, what I have done wrong in my attempt, and how I should do it correctly? Thank you very much.

Regards,

Scarletice

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,014 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author scarletice

Hello Scarletice,

You can use the RT Debug String VI (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622J-01/lvrtvihelp/rt_debug_strings/) to send a message programmatically to the LabVIEW Real-Time console on a Real-Time Hypervisor system.

Please let me know if you need any additional help, and have a good day!

Best Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,996 Views)

Thank you very much, Mr. Weltzin!

It works! In addition, following your advice I also found an example program from the NI site:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4817

The example makes my coding very convinient.

Thanks and best regards,

Scarletice

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,976 Views)

Hello Mr. Weltzin,

I got a further problem, when I tried to create a standalone real-time application for my test program with RT-Debug-String.vi.  More exactly, it is an error at deploying: "File not found".  I posted a message for the problem on the forum:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Hypervisor-Create-Standalone-Real-Time-Application-Error-at/m-p/1694...

I haven't got any reply to the message. So I tried here again, and see whether you have any idea of the problem.

Actually I have no problem to create a simple standalone Windows application, e.g. toggling a LED button. But I got always the same deploying error "File not found", when I tried to create a standalone real-time application. I am really confused.  Must I use FTP to copy the built rtexe-file manually to the real time system, and modify the ni-rt.ini file and start up the rtexe file when the real time system boots?

Your reply would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,

Scarletice

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,930 Views)

Hello Mr. Weltzin,

I'm trying to use labview replacing hyperterminal which we are current using to talk to our RT device. I try to open the Polymorphic DebugInfo.vi: you posted online, but the labview version I'm using is 2009 with sp1. I don't have RT debug string vi. What should I do?

Many Thanks,

Weny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,679 Views)