cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to verify a Bluetooth Connection

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

When working with a communication protocol it is the requirement that one know whether the connection has established correctly or not. And also to verify if a data is sent to the other side is received there properly or not.

I am working on Bluetooth communication and interested checking this connection.

Following the given document http//zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3260#toc0 i tried to transfer the data.

Now please guide me is it possible to check it on the hyperterminal of the otherside PC

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,485 Views)

Hi Intelligent,

If you are trying to do a server/client example, there are a few great examples in the Example Finder.  If you go to LabVIEW, then Help>>Find Examples...  From there, in the Search tab, search for Bluetooth.  You will find a few server/client examples there.  Looking through it quickly, the Advanced Bluetooth Server and Client VI will do what I think you are looking for.  The Bluetooth Create Listener and Bluetooth Wait On Listener functionalities are implemented to wait until a connection is established before it sends or receives data.  I do not think it will be possible to see if there is a connection using Hyperterminal. I hope this helps!

Kim W.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,448 Views)

Thanks for replying.

I have tried the examples you mentioned and used the Simple Buetooth Clinet to rec data and server to send the data.

but i am getting the Error #54 on the client side.And dont know its exact reason

Herei want to tell you the procedure that i followed so that you may identify if any error is present in it.

1- I created the Application of Bluetooth Client so that it could be executed on the systedm without the installation of whole labvierw software.

2- I Paired the two computers.

3- Than executed the file.

Kindly tell me what should i do now. Do i have to give some especial server name and Channel number?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,434 Views)

Thanks for replying.

I have tried the examples you mentioned and used the Simple Buetooth Clinet to rec data and server to send the data.

but i am getting the Error #54 on the client side.And dont know its exact reason

Herei want to tell you the procedure that i followed so that you may identify if any error is present in it.

1- I created the Application of Bluetooth Client so that it could be executed on the systedm without the installation of whole labvierw software.

2- I Paired the two computers.

3- Than executed the file.

Kindly tell me what should i do now. Do i have to give some especial server name and Channel number?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,434 Views)

Hi Intelligent,

Could you please walk me through the steps that you took after you created the executable?  I am assuming you have the LabVIEW Run Time Engine on the computer without LabVIEW.  From there, did you run the server VI and take the address and channel to the client VI and then run the client VI? 

When are you seeing the error?  Is it after you run and connect the client VI to the server VI? Finally, could you post a screenshot of the error 54 that you are seeing? 

Thanks!

Kim

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,422 Views)

Hello, VTKim

Thanks very much for replying.

I am trying to answer the qestions

1- Yes Labview Run time Engine is installed on the PC from where i am runing the Bluetooth Client. Also i have executed another Application to check the working of it and the other basic application was runing properly.

2- LabVIEW server is executed from the PC where the LabVIEW is installed.

3- Clicking the properties i found the address of the Bluetooth Sever PC and wrote it in the Address. Regarding the Channel i am not sure what it should be and so i keep it left as 0.

4- As i run the VI of Server the error is displayed immediately.

5- They never have been connected.

I am posting the pics.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,404 Views)

Hi Intelligent,

The error that you are seeing is most likely caused because the address is somehow incorrect.  If the bluetooth connection is working correctly, then when you run the server VI first, you should get a Bluetooth address and name populated on the front panel and is the address of the Bluetooth device, not the PC.  These values are gathered from the Bluetooth Discover function that searches for locally installed or other Bluetooth devices within range of the network.  Once you get the Bluetooth address, you can put that into the client VI and run the client.  As another troubleshooting steps, have you configured the Bluetooth settings to allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer.  This Microsoft document shows how to change those settings in Method 2.  I hope this helps!

Kim

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 7 of 14
(3,378 Views)

Thanks VTKim,

I am using the bluetooth dongle to create the bluetooth connection. I am enjoying the bluetooth facilities easily using it.

I read the document you indicated, but it address the SP2 issues while I am using SP3. But also I can easily establish a connection and find devices in my range.

So kindly tell me what shoud more i do.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,371 Views)

I have changed my dongle now and using a new bluetooth device but still unable to get any change.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,366 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Getwonder

Hi Intelligent,

What are the model names and numbers of the bluetooth device and bluetooth dongle you are using? You must use a device that is supported by the Microsoft Bluetooth Stack or the new WIDCOMM stack. Here is another KnowledgeBase article that may give more insight into to how to get the device to communicate with LabVIEW.  Thanks!

Kim

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 10 of 14
(3,350 Views)