LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use subpanel and tab control?

Solved!
Go to solution

Thank you all for the useful suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,346 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am also new to LabVIEW and I have a difficulty with an issue related to this thread. I have the requirement or I desire to have the functionality where I would like to display the FPl of a subVI which is in another subVI in the FP of the main VI ( which is supposed to be the general user interface). I have the need that the user needs to input some values to the subVI of interest ( so the need to display it in the main VI FP). I am also building up on an already developed VI and I want to include the displays of my subVI on the existing FP at the top level.

Is there a way to use the subpanels concept to achieve this and at the same time be able to use the tab control to see the FP of my subVI?

Appreciate your guidance and hints.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,246 Views)

First thing, it's not a good idea to add onto the end of a 9-month old thread. Better to start a new thread and if it is important put a reference to the old thread in your first post. That way people will see that you have a new question - which in turn increases your chances of getting an answer.

But, on to your specific question. With a VI that is in a subpanel there is no inherent way of passing data to it directly. However, to place the VI in the subpanel in the first place you had to have a reference to it. You can use that reference to get control references to controls and indicators on its front panel - even hidden ones - and then use those references to set or read values.

Like I told the other fellow in February, if you are using subpanels there is no need to mess with tab controls. Simply have different VI appear in a single subpanel and you get the same effect, but without all the problems that tabs can create - like overly complex block diagrams.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,235 Views)

Thanks mikeporter!

First off, sorry for the appending on an old thread. I was just rushed to letting out my question and I will know better for next time, thanks to your comments.

Regarding the subpanel, I implemented it and now I am able to see the desired subVI FP on my main VI, well and good! But just like you said, I am not able to insert data and interact with it as I would want to. Where does that lead me to be able to display my desired subVI FP and let the user interact at the same time? Do I use the tab control? Further question is I want the subVI to activated when the user wants to perform the actions to be done by the subVI, how can this be done too?

I very much appreciate your prompt response!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,219 Views)

The idea is that the VI with the subpanel on it does very little except manage which which subpanel is visible. The VIs that go into the subpanel are fully self-contained programs that have their own user interface objects (controls and indicator). The user should be interacting directly with the VI that is in the subpanel.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 15 of 16
(1,208 Views)

Thanks mate! 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,127 Views)