LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use cRIO USB mass storage?

Hi,
I am using the NI9215 as an analog input port and want to write the data into an external USB mass storage which is connected in the
cRIo-9012 USB port.  I do not have any idea how to write the data into USB mass storage, does anyone can give me some help?       
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(12,481 Views)
I would like some help too! just received my 9012 with no new drivers or documtation on how to access the USB.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(12,461 Views)
A USB drive is mapped as u:\ and LabVIEW can access it as such. Attached is a simple example to get the file size and write to a file.

Message Edited by Collin M on 01-08-2007 11:26 AM

Message 3 of 17
(12,449 Views)
Just to add on to what Collin said, make sure your USB drive is formatted with a FAT32 or FAT16 filesystem (NTFS doesn't work).

Aside from that, just be be careful because paths are case-sensitive.  I found that directories I created in windows would be seen as all-caps on the 9012. Use "Programming -> File I/O -> Advanced File Functions -> List Folder" and set the path to "u:\" to check the files/folders on your USB device and see whether they're all-caps.
Message 4 of 17
(12,380 Views)

Hi, Waterloo Speed,

Thnak for your suggestion about USB memory stick format. I tried various different FAT format USB memory stick, only Kingston brand can work.  Smiley Sad Do you have any further suggestions about format?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(12,323 Views)
Can you tell me what specific brand and model of USB drive does not work?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(12,289 Views)
I don't know why you would be having issues with different brands.  I am currently using a Memorex key, and have not had any problems with any other brands I've tried in the past.

Try reformatting the drive, if you haven't already done so.  I used Windows to format without any problems (Right-click the drive in My Computer and click "Format...").
Warning: You will lose all the data on your USB key, so back it up first!

-Devin

Message Edited by waterlooSPEED on 01-30-2007 06:17 PM

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(12,266 Views)
Variuos types of snadisk flash memory stick and Western Digital portable HD could not work. 
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(12,161 Views)
Differences among brands and models are due to the fact that certain devices take greater liberties with the USB mass storage device specification than others.  A venerable operating system like Windows (or even Linux) is shot through with workarounds for device- and manufacturer-specific issues that are not present (as much) in VxWorks, which is the OS used on the cRIO-9012.  Therefore only devices that adhere very rigorously to the specification are going to work properly.

Unfortunately, degree of adherence to the USB spec is not something that's generally published about a device, nor is there any sort of official certification process.  So to some extent it's trial and error.  I am working with our support enginners currently to develop a list of devices that NI certifies as interoperable with VxWorks, and also VxWorks is increasing the robustness of their USB support with every release.

EDIT: And the advice about reformatting the device is very sound.  The cRIO-9012 does not support the NTFS file system, only FAT 12, 16, and 32.  If the USB device is formatted for NTFS, it will not function properly.

Finally, if anyone sees a storage device that fails to work properly despite all these suggestions, please post as much information as possible (model number, manufacturer, capacity).  Having this information will allow us to work with the manufacturers of VxWorks to improve USB support.

Message Edited by CharlesC on 02-22-2007 12:12 PM

Message 9 of 17
(12,133 Views)

Hi all,

I came across this discussion forum because I was also looking for USB examples with the 9012.  I wanted to let you know that I have a Crucial brand Gizmo!  USB stick (128 MB) and it seems to work (FAT32 formatted).  I used the example VI above and added a read function and compared the read to the write string and they come out equal.

-Phil

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(12,042 Views)