LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a VI as a second screen? (Use HDMI or VGA port as input)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi.

I am developing a VI that allows me to visualize the image delivered by fluoroscopy equipment, the equipment has a DVI port, so we intend to use the HDMI or VGA ports of the computer. So far I have not found information that is useful for the process, and I would like to receive help from the NI community

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,491 Views)

I'm confused.

You have a piece of equipment that outputs a video on a DVI port,  and you want to use HDMI or VGA ports on your PC, which also output video to somehow use them as an input?

You know, that just doesn't work.  You can't input video signals into video outputs.

Why don't you just hook up a screen to the DVI port so you can see what the equipment is putting out?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,459 Views)

Hello, thanks for answering
Indeed, the image that the fluoroscope gives me I need to see in labview, either using one of the HDMI or VGA ports, perhaps even the USB-C port can serve
The image that the videofluroscope gives me must be stored and synchronized with signals acquired with a DAQ, so connecting a screen is not a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,454 Views)

Well you can't connect an input to a video output like HDMI port on a PC or VGA.  So just forget about that.

You need to find a video capture card, and one that will accept DVI signals.

Try this link.https://lmgtfy.com/?q=dvi+video+capture+cardhttps://lmgtfy.com/?q=dvi+video+capture+card

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,452 Views)

The HDMI, DVI, Display Port, VGA, or whatever video connections you have on normal computers are video OUTPUTS to display something on a monitor. There is ABSOLUTELY NO way to use them as an input to aquire an external video signal. For this you need a frame grabber device which provides an according input. Something like this would work.

However selecting the right hardware is only the first step in getting an external image source grabbed. There also needs to be driver support and a LabVIEW interface that can access this driver.

The hardware I mentioned claims to support DirectShow, which would possibly make it accessible through NI-IMAQdx Vision Acquisition Software. But you need to check with an NI support person about that and also about the licensing for NI-IMAQdx, as NI-IMAQdx is normally not free of cost for third party frame grabber solutions, which includes your DirectShow device.

And you probably want to have a comprehensive image library to do something with the images. While NI-IMAQdx comes with support to display the image in the IMAQ Vision control on a front panel, if you want to do some image analysis, you will likely also need IMAQ Vision Development software for LabVIEW. This is a comprehensive library of image analysis functions that allow you to do all kinds of involved image analysis.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,415 Views)

If the fluoroscope can operate as a camera/web server, it may be easier to access it as a network device and just stream from its web page, or directly from the web server.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,385 Views)

The very first thing you should do whenever you are trying to interface some kind of external hardware with LabVIEW, is check the manufacturer's website to see if there's some kind of software to use with it. It's likely that installing that software (if available) will add some DLLs that you can then use with LabVIEW's .NET property nodes. The install might even include an SDK (software development kit) to get you started.

What is the make/model of this fluoroscope?

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

Message 7 of 10
(2,381 Views)

Hi. Sorry for the delay in answering

The fluoroscopic is a GE, I have no more data about it, the only information they give me is that they have a DVI output that we can use, the point that I need to synchronously store the image that gives me from a swallowing study, along with some signals acquired with a DAQ. The part with the DAQ is already solved, I need to store the video.

And given the conditions that exist at the moment worldwide, it is a bit difficult for me to go to the place where fluoroscopy is performed

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,330 Views)

Whoever "they" are, I would suggest that you ask them what the model of the thing is. If it a GE, there is almost certainly a way to connect it to a computer and get the video feed. The most logical option if that somehow isn't the case, is to use an image grabber as others suggested (which has its own associated software) and connect that to your computer.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jprestrepou94

You can capture DVI video if you use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-Video-Capture-Card/dp/B01IEW58NO

But not with your existing hardware.

The one I linked there uses DirectShow, and if you use that, there's already a handy guide on how to use it in LabVIEW:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/DirectShow-NET-LabVIEW-SDK-Video-Audio-IP-streams/ta-p/3493927

(Not tried it myself personally though, so I can't guarantee results....)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,310 Views)