LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Runtime version of LabView in linux?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi abuzar,

AFAIK NI supports LabVIEW only on their own hardware targets.

That "Zedboard" is not made by NI, isn't it?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,916 Views)

I know, but i am using the zedboard as computer by booting linux on it. Now i install the labview for linux on it. Problem is that the linux version provided by NI (here) donot support ARM architecture. 

Suggest me solution. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,909 Views)

Hi abuzar,

Suggest me solution.

Use hardware made by NI, which is supported by LabVIEW.

(Call yur local NI sales guy and discuss this issue with him/her. Maybe you get some more detailed background information.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,902 Views)

LabVIEW VIs are precompiled for a specific target and CPU architecture. They can only run on a target for which they are precompiled. In order for that you also need to have a LabVIEW runtime system compiled for that target.

LabVIEW for Linux is only available for the x64 architecture (used to be only for x86 until 2013 or so and since 2016 or similar it is only x64).

NI creates a runtime that works on their own ARM based RT controllers (myRIO and cRIO) but this is specifically compiled to run on these hardware targets and can't just be copied to another ARM board even though it may have a Linux OS on it ( they use the special NI build NI Linux RT kernel).

There is also Linx for LabVIEW which does support specific ARM based boards like the Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 and Beaglebone Black, but that won't help for your Zedboard either. Embedded hardware is not as simple as normal PCs. You may be able to compile a Linux kernel for most of them (sometimes with lots and lots of tinkering) but that doesn't mean that you can install specific software onto it such as LabVIEW since a system like LabVIEW interfaces pretty closely to the system and needs to be adapted for each system accordingly to make it work.

Since it is closed source you can't just recompile it from sources like most other Linux tools to adapt it to even very esoteric hardware systems.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 14 of 16
(1,887 Views)

Hi, abuzar963!
You are able to run LINX on Zedboard, but it will not have desired GUI (LINX doesn't have it at all).
Take a look at UP boards if you are looking for compact embedded x86 platforms.

Message 15 of 16
(1,860 Views)

@toshas wrote:

Hi, abuzar963!
You are able to run LINX on Zedboard, but it will not have desired GUI (LINX doesn't have it at all).
Take a look at UP boards if you are looking for compact embedded x86 platforms.

That's somewhat unprecise, especially given the original request to run a LabVIEW executable on that board. Linx has two operating modes.

1) On supported boards (myRIO, Raspberry Pi 2 + 3, Beaglebone Black) you can actually compile an executable in LabVIEW and deploy it to the board. It has indeed no user interface itself but the LabVIEW VIs run effectively on the board.

2) On all other boards you can develop your own serial port or ethernet enabled application in any development environment that supports your hardware (Python on Raspian, Android Studio, Ecipse for Embedded C, etc) and then write an application in LabVIEW to communicate with that application. This doesn't strictly require Linx but it does come with some extra libraries that make it a little easier.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 16 of 16
(1,847 Views)