LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send trigger to external devices using labview

Hello, I need help in sending a trigger to external device using labview.

I have mounted strain-gauges on the beam and using labview to continously recording the strain values. Now I want to send the trigger (ttl/make/break) to outside device as soon as strain values goes over certain limit. I am new not labview and mostly using express vi's. Also I can start the strain acquisition when strain value goes over certain mark. But I am not sure on how to send the trigger pulse to the external device using labview. I am attaching the pic of some of my efforts.

System Information: Labview 8.5.1, SC-2345 connector block, SCC-SG01 Strain module, PCI-6251 DAQ Card and SCC-DO01 Digital Output Module.

Thanks,

Sine

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,590 Views)

Unless I am confused by your description, a trigger is simply a digital output that you toggle when desired, so you would generate it the way you would any other digital output.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,576 Views)

I know what trigger is, i just don't know how to generate/send it. I started using labview this month only.

I want to generate/send the trigger out when strain value reaches certain threshold as mentioned earlier.

Thanks,

Sine

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,564 Views)

Ok, the best thing to do is go to the examples that ship with LV and look for examples of how to do discrete digital IO.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,561 Views)

Can you suggest any blocks that I can use?  or how to do it?  suggestions are welcome 🙂

THanks,

Sine

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,558 Views)

Hi,

I am acquiring a sinusoidal analogue signal using a USB 6008. I need to generate a digital trigger when the amplitude of the sine wave is zero.

How might I go about doing this?

I am a mech eng student so programming is not my strong point.

Please find attached a plot of the signal I need to generate triggers from, please ignore the data point. The signal is noisy.

Kind regards,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,979 Views)

For this application, the 6008 is very limited. To do this you would need a device capable of analog triggering:

Can I Create a Digital Pulse Train That is Synchronized with My Analog Input Signal?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/67CCAAF13C8617FC86256E01006C3D69?OpenDocument

The 6008 does not have analog triggering capabilities.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,921 Views)

Thank you for the reply, could you suggest a DAQ suitable for analogue triggering.

Cheers,

Joe Lifton

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,891 Views)

The best way to find the DAQ you need, is to go to ni.com/daq, and then use the links on the side to narrow down on exactly what you want.  I narrowed down a list that has voltage AI with analog triggering in the USB form factor, but you can narrow down another way if you wish.

Regards,

Elizabeth K.

National Instruments | Applications Engineer | www.ni.com/support  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,851 Views)