Did you mean: 

How to remove 0s from an array

@for(imstuck) wrote:

I hated people like you guys when I was in school! haha Smiley Frustrated

And now you love us?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(842 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

He's better than me. I don't post anything if I think it is homework.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(826 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

And now you love us?

Of course! The support I've gotten from this forum over the years is somewhat remarkable!

However, with regards to LabVIEW when I was in school, I had a research job. So, for me, my questions were not exactly homework. I felt this actually made learning LabVIEW easier. Not all this pressure to "have to get it done" Therefore, I was able to avoid many of these issues! I do know how I learn though, and I learn much better from struggling through it myself, then seeing a solution. Then, after seeing a better way, reworking the code to try and understand why that solution is better. I tell everyone that I talk to about learning LabVIEW that I attribute this measly $8/hour research job to much of my LabVIEW related success in a relatively short amount of time. I had the ability and time to solve a problem, get advice, then go back and rework the exact same problem and see why a state machine was better than flat sequence structures, then why a QMH is better (sometimes) than a state machine, etc. By reworking the same problem over and over I was able to determine the pros and cons of different solutions as they pertained to the same requirements. I could take a familiar problem (as to not get tripped up in the details but instead focus on the architecture) and and rework it until I felt comfortable with my solution. Unfortunately, in the work-world we do not have this ability to repeatedly rework the same, familiar, project, which means we have to apply what we've learned from one project to a different project. This can sometimes can be overwhelming if the architecture you have become familiar with on one project does not translate well to that new project, especially with looming deadlines, bosses asking questions, and customers calling. I feel this "bouncing around" and learning on the fly before you have a good base of multiple architectures to choose from makes learning LabVIEW (or maybe anything for that matter) much more difficult. So, in my opinion, LabVIEW would be best learned by taking a problem you are familiar with, and reworking it in many ways to help understand multiple architectures pros and cons. Again this is just my opinion, and although I got a little off topic, I hope it's somewhat valuable.

Back to LabVIEW in school:

I will say one thing about LabVIEW at Universities (or at least from my experience at Purdue). While I did not use LabVIEW in class/labs, many of my friends did. From what I could tell, the person teaching them had essentially no LabVIEW experience except maybe to drop a few express VIs and acquire some analog data. Then, on final projects these same students that have only used express DAQ and know very little about the LabVIEW environment take on these large scale, often complex, projects in a parallel environment with very little direction from whomever is teaching them. Now, while they do have all semester to work on the project, it would not surprise me if they think it will be real simple just like it was in their lab work, but come to realize it's much more complex. I do completely agree with the general consensus that an OP's attempt at solving the problem warrants more support from us, while zero attemp does not. But at the same time, I think we should not be too quick to judge the individual posting these types of questions, because there may be situations in which the student was mislead, or not fully understanding what they were getting themselves into.  

Anyways, I hope I didn't ruffle anyones feathers! I just wanted to put my 2 cents on the table.

Message 13 of 15
(795 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

And now you love us?

Back to LabVIEW in school:

I will say one thing about LabVIEW at Universities (or at least from my experience at Purdue). While I did not use LabVIEW in class/labs, many of my friends did. From what I could tell, the person teaching them had essentially no LabVIEW experience except maybe to drop a few express VIs and acquire some analog data. Then, on final projects these same students that have only used express DAQ and know very little about the LabVIEW environment take on these large scale, often complex, projects in a parallel environment with very little direction from whomever is teaching them.

As a CS person I would love to see LabVIEW being taught as part of the CS curriculum. One of the major problems with LabVIEW being more widely accepted as a general purpose programming language is the bias against it because it is not taught as part of a CS curriculum. The mindset for people coming out of those programs is if it isn't taught there (or very, very close to the languages taught) it must not be a real language.

Data flow programming is a much better paradigm than pure sequential programming. Unfortunately known of the text based languages support data flow very well and so we (the CS community) stay stuck in a rut.

I need to go get my masters so I can move to teaching at a university and start to include LabVIEW as part of the course work.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(769 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:
I need to go get my masters so I can move to teaching at a university and start to include LabVIEW as part of the course work.

Yes, so we can avoid blogs/comments like this!

I know one of the issues text based programmers have with LabVIEW is it can be a mess. But this stems from the fact that, as you said Mark, it isn't taught in school. Many people writing LabVIEW code don't normally write LabVIEW code, but one of their bosses decided they were going to. So then they were stuck doing it. It ends up being messy, and any other text based programmer that inherits this code now thinks all LabVIEW is messy and when they have to modify it they can't. This leaves a bad taste in their mouth that can't seem to be rinsed out. Anyways, now we're way off topic on a horse that's been beaten far too many times.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(758 Views)