From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read data from excel and plot a graph?

Hi All,

I have an excel file containing the temperature data in one column and respective time at which temperature is updating,i need to plot time v/s temperature in a graph.

Can anyone guide me the steps to read both temperature and time data from excel and writing it to graph without changing the input format of the file to csv. The input format of the file is .xls

can i do it with the help of activex and excel?I am not much familiar in using activex,so it will be of great help if anyone can help me,or any other simplest method other than this is also fine 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,010 Views)

Hi Sahan,

Sahan@123 wrote:

can i do it with the help of activex and excel?I am not much familiar in using activex,so it will be of great help if anyone can help me,or any other simplest method other than this is also fine 

Yes, you can use ActiveX.

Or you use the RGT functions which come with LabVIEW: they cover all this ActiveX stuff under the hood.

Read both columns and create a XY plot for a XY graph from them.

(You might need to correct the Excel timestamps because Excel uses a different timestamp format/epoch than LabVIEW does. Search the forum for related threads, this has been discussed before.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,003 Views)

Thank you for the information and i will try it once using RGT. can you suggest some example vi's if they are in forum? or links are also fine

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(994 Views)

Hi Sahan,

LabVIEW comes with a huge example library, there are also examples on using the RGT functions!

Just open the example finder…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(977 Views)