LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to output strings on an LCD

I have a project and I want to use labview to display some strings as output on an LCD. Can anyone tell me how to use an LCD? or how to enter data to it and how we connect it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,160 Views)
Kind of importamt to specify the type of lcd you are using. Look at the interface. Some sort of digital input is typical. An NI digital IO board could be used. Do a search based on how many pins you need to control.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,153 Views)

Actually i didnt choose what type of LCD,im new here and im still learning, I just need a simple LCD to out for me a string for example : "the weight of this object is 3 kg."

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,129 Views)

If you don't have one already you probably should get one with a serial interface. I think most of them use TTL (0-5V) signals. You can use your PC's serial port to talk to these if you build or buy a level converter. Sparkfun has some and they probably have a level converter.

If you go that route then look for the serial communications examples that ship with LabVIEW.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,124 Views)

So I understand from what you're saying that using an LCD would take a lot of time to configure and build a special circuit for  it  and to connect it to labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,119 Views)

Using a serial one will be easier. The level converter is pretty easy and you can find one at Sparkfun or examples of how to do it. But easy is relative. You will have to read the datasheet for the lcd to figure out how to set it up logically and electrically.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,112 Views)

@Abook7 wrote:

So I understand from what you're saying that using an LCD would take a lot of time to configure and build a special circuit for  it  and to connect it to labview?

Not with a serial LCD.  You may find one that is 232 compatible.  This would only require you send the appropriate commands and strings to the device.  If you go the parallel route, more work would be involved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,092 Views)

have a look here:

http://www.reachtech.com/

I've been using the SLCD5+ for exactly what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,079 Views)