LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mark time on x axis with irregular time values

If I understand you correctly, Your problem is with the gap (for example) between 11/04 and 11/08, right? You want the two points to be at the same distance from each other like the other points. If so, I think you'll have to go back to my suggestion - plot each point by its index in the array (the first point will recieve an X value of 0, the second point of 1 and so on), make the X scale invisible and place a string or an array in its place. The alignment I mentioned was of the string. If you use an array you shouldn't have a problem. If you use a classic array you can make the array itself completely invisible.

(1,646 Views)
You're right. I That will teach to me to post an answer before verifying it. I apologize for that. I thought I've done this in the past. It might have been with relative time but I can't get month and day as an option for relative time. Let me play around a little and see if I can find a solution.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(1,644 Views)

@tst wrote:
If I understand you correctly, Your problem is with the gap (for example) between 11/04 and 11/08, right? You want the two points to be at the same distance from each other like the other points. If so, I think you'll have to go back to my suggestion - plot each point by its index in the array (the first point will recieve an X value of 0, the second point of 1 and so on), make the X scale invisible and place a string or an array in its place. The alignment I mentioned was of the string. If you use an array you shouldn't have a problem. If you use a classic array you can make the array itself completely invisible.

Hello tst,

Yes, your understanding is exactly what i wanted. Did you mean to place the date string array on the x axis on the front panel? That seems to be an awkard way of doing this. As if i want to resize the graph window, i will need to resize the string array. I cant imagine LabVIEW does not offer a better way to do this. I still prefer a way to do it programmatically in diagram or set something on the front panel settings.

Bryan.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(1,641 Views)

@tst wrote:
I don't think you can do this in the graph itself. I tried arbitrary spacing but that didn't help. You can place a string or a string array where the plot is and wire the data into that, but you'll have to align it somehow.

Hi tst,

I misunderstood your suggestion here earlier. I believe this is a relative good solution by "wiring" data in the diagram and having the array displaying it on the front panel. Thanks.

Bryan
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(1,721 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:
You're right. I That will teach to me to post an answer before verifying it. I apologize for that. I thought I've done this in the past. It might have been with relative time but I can't get month and day as an option for relative time. Let me play around a little and see if I can find a solution.

sure, no worry. I think we are having a great discussion here. Alway fun to work on something a little challenging. Hopefully NI will provide somethings more straightward for us in its next version of LabView.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(1,626 Views)
The XY graph handles irregular time gaps without any problems so there must be something you are doing wrong. I could not see any attachement to the latest post, could you post it...and if possible add the code as well?
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(1,608 Views)
Hello Mads, thanks for the reply, I have multiple files to attach including a data file. Do you how to submit multiple files in this forum?

Bryan
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(1,599 Views)
Use any available compression package (like winzip or winrar) to compress your files to a zip file.

(1,579 Views)
Thanks for your reminding.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(1,571 Views)
MADS, I just read your post now. Since you didn't see the attachment I presume you missed the second page of the thread. Bryan's problem is that he wants the gaps in the data to be irregular, but the gaps in the graph to be regular. So far I (and apparently Dennis as well) haven't been able to find a way to do this other than the one I mentioned. I think this solves Bryan's problem. He just doesn't like the solution.

(1,564 Views)