LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to localize the file dialog

Hi all,

I am struggling with the LabVIEW file dialog. My VI runs under an English LV 8.5 on a different localized WinXP. The user interface should strict localized to English including file dialog and messages boxes. I try to use the Win API to call the OS dialogs directly, but I didn’t find a way to call this dialogs localized in English.

Maybe someone has a work around or solve this problem differently.
All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in anticipation

K-Bot

Using LabVIEW 8.5 on WinXP
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,181 Views)

in the express pallete use the express open file dialog. on what language thats up to you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,174 Views)

Hi richjoh,

thank you for your reply. The LabVIEW file primitive are calling the native OS function and they are by default localized in the OS language.

K-Bot

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,166 Views)

Hi K-Bot,

try to change the Windows Country Settings, maybe that would already fix the localization.

You can also try to program your own dialogs, search for the example "Directory Hierarchy in Tree Control.vi".

Or simply install an English WinXP Version; that would be the best to do, since LabVIEW depends on the localized WIN API.

Cheers, Jannis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,154 Views)

Hi Jannis,

thank you for your reply.

The Windows Regional and Language Options in Control Panel don’t affect the language used for menus and dialog boxes, only the Windows Multilingual User Interface Pack offers this option. But this pack is not for all XP users available and you must first install the OS with the required base language (English). Some Vista and Windows 7 releases have integrated this feature.

Building my own file dialog with LabVIEW functions is a lot off effort (Error checking and some other stuff you should consider) and its response is not really fast. It also makes not sense to program a function that is already implemented.

An English XP Version would solve the problem only on a single computer.

Finally if you tell your boss, users or customers that they have to change their OS they would be not amused. So since this is a common problem and I am not the first with this issues there must be another solution.

Once again, Jannis thank you for these suggestions.

K-Bot

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,135 Views)

K-Bot, I'm not exactly sure of your issue, I assume is the language setting of the file dialog. If you can type the language into ctrls then I assume you can use the Express VI File Dialog. Find it under the File I/O pallette - Advanced File functions.

If you want something to adapt to local language well that won't do it.

file dialog.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,128 Views)

Hi K-Bot,

the Windows Multilingual User Interface Pack is indeed, your way to go. And you are right, not every user has that.

Building a file dialog with LabVIEW functions is a lot off effort and requires memory, a lot of memory!

I can't think of any other way to do it, sorry...

Jannis

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,119 Views)