From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install labview after instrument drivers

I have in front of me a PXI crate with the 8820 embedded controller and a 5105 digitser. All out of the box as supplied by National Instruments with software pre-installed and everything working. The trouble is it came without Labview, so I have now installed Labview 2013 on the controller but it does not know about the digitiser - how do I tell it? The startup guide helpfully states "you must install the ADE before installing the NI-Scope driver" but what if that option is not available to me? Thanks for your help. Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,524 Views)
Haven't you tried simply reinstalling the NI-Scope driver?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,521 Views)

Hi Dennis, yes I tried that first. It tells me that a later version is already installed so it does nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,484 Views)
The simplest thing then might be to uninstall NI-DMM. When the installer starts, you should see an option for development support. I would have thought that checking LabVIEW would have forced the installer to ruin again. Perhaps a repair would have worked? Sorry I can't be more specific.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,476 Views)

@SteveSnow wrote:

Hi Dennis, yes I tried that first. It tells me that a later version is already installed so it does nothing.

That tells me that you are trying to install an older version of the drivers.  If you go into MAX, you can see what versions of drivers you currently have installed.  Make sure you are trying to reinstall the same version.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 10
(3,416 Views)

On a few occasions, I've installed a piece of a later LabVIEW and messed up the current version I was using.  In every case, after several days of futile effort, the only solution that worked for me was to uninstall everything from NI, remolve all of the files and folders, and start all over again.  Very painful, but the end result was a working system ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,399 Views)

@SteveSnow wrote:

I have in front of me a PXI crate with the 8820 embedded controller and a 5105 digitser. All out of the box as supplied by National Instruments with software pre-installed and everything working. The trouble is it came without Labview, so I have now installed Labview 2013 on the controller but it does not know about the digitiser - how do I tell it? The startup guide helpfully states "you must install the ADE before installing the NI-Scope driver" but what if that option is not available to me? Thanks for your help. Steve.

The trouble is it came without Labview, And, probably a gajillion services from NI- ALL according to the image you gave NI to install!  "Call-me-now" would help a lot!  Even "GotoMeeting" with the NI Rep.....  Trust me... They want to deliver what you need to succede.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,389 Views)

Hi SteveSnow,

Thank you for the post.

I recommend uninstalling the drivers and then start again by installing LabVIEW first, then any drivers you wish to install. It may take a while but it is a good way to ensure that the software and drivers function together correctly.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Message 8 of 10
(3,364 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The simplest thing then might be to uninstall NI-DMM. When the installer starts, you should see an option for development support. I would have thought that checking LabVIEW would have forced the installer to ruin again. Perhaps a repair would have worked? Sorry I can't be more specific.

Your post is right on the money -- I underlined the key word, above.  Checking "LabVIEW" can certainly cause the installer to "ruin" ...

BS

Message 9 of 10
(3,336 Views)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I followed the consunsus advice to uninstall all the drivers, install Labview , then re-install the drivers ... and it worked. Thanks again, Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,256 Views)