LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install high and low version for LabVIEW and device drivers to one PC

I am trying to install LabVIEW, FPGA Module, Real-time module with each different version for one PC because of Haradware.

* 1st installation contents
(1) LabVIEW 2019
(2) FPGA 19
(3) RT 19
(4) NI-CompactRIO 19.6

* 2nd installation contents
(1) LabVIEW 2020
(2) FPGA 20
(3) RT 20
(4) NI-CompactRIO 20

Can you answer me effectively installation methode to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,277 Views)

Hi me,

@dream4me wrote:

I am trying to install LabVIEW, FPGA Module, Real-time module with each different version for one PC because of Haradware.

Can you answer me effectively installation methode to solve this problem?

Either use two different computers or use VMs to install both packages!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(1,274 Views)

The 1st solution is not suitable in my situation.

For the 2nd solution, VM is Virtual Machine, isn't it?

If I  tried with a VM, Can you inform more specific details or a web-site about that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,265 Views)

Hi me,

@dream4me wrote:

The 1st solution is not suitable in my situation.

For the 2nd solution, VM is Virtual Machine, isn't it?

If I  tried with a VM, Can you inform more specific details or a web-site about that?

The point is: you cannot install different versions of those modules on the same computer (RT, NI-RIO), so you need two different computers. These can be real machines or VMs.

For VM you can use all available tools, like HyperV (coming with Win10Pro). Talk to your IT staff to setup such a VM with the right licenses: you will need another Windows license in the V...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,224 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

The point is: you cannot install different versions of those modules on the same computer (RT, NI-RIO), so you need two different computers. These can be real machines or VMs.

Actually with the exception of NI-RIO you can! I have in the past regularly installed multiple LabVIEW version under Windows, each with their respective RT and FPGA toolkit version.

NI-CompactRIO however is a driver software and as such only can be installed once on a computer. But NI-CompactRIO only supports its respective and 3 prior LabVIEW versions (eg. 20.x supports LabVIEW 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 only) and always needs to be installed last (it only installs support into the LabVIEW versions it can find on the system).

For VM you can use all available tools, like HyperV (coming with Win10Pro). Talk to your IT staff to setup such a VM with the right licenses: you will need another Windows license in the V...

But since I got my new computer about two years ago I have completely stopped to install multiple LabVIEW versions alongside each other in the same system. Instead we use VmWare to build and use version (and project specific) virtual machines. While it mostly worked to install multiple versions alongside it was tedious and error prone, you always had to install oldest version first and move up and adding new driver versions could remove support from older installations. In addition it was definitely one of the reason some of the LabVIEW installations got unstable over time and started to frequently crash.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,169 Views)