LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install a database?

Hello,

for my application I am using an Access database. This application has to be installed on a client computer and I need to build an installer for my application. As part of the installation I want to install an Access Database, which must automatically be configured so it will be ready to use. Has anyone experience in using and installing databases with stand-alone applications?

Best regards

Richard Meijeringh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,824 Views)

Hi,

Access database comes with a license Key. How do you want to handle that situation?

You can call setup.exe of MS-Access after installation of your application. But you can not handle activation part of that.

You should buy a license each time and give it to customer.

Anil

Anil Punnam
CLD
LV 2012, TestStand 4.2..........
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,803 Views)
 I am not sure if I fully understand you but if you have acess database (i.e. *.mdb file) just add it when building your application. It's as easy as that. Just be sure you put it to the righ destination.
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,795 Views)

Hi Richard,

If you do not want the user to open the access database anytime.....you can just add .mdb file to ur installation files. and mention the destination as you mention for other supporting files.

Your application works even if the client does not have Access database. But the thing is, If user wants to open the database and do manipulations, he can not do untill he install MS-Access with license.

Anil

Anil Punnam
CLD
LV 2012, TestStand 4.2..........
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,765 Views)
This gives you the opportunity to offer controlled access to the database; you can write an interface that includes validation.
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,760 Views)

Hi Richard,

As said above, you can use an .mdb file as the database

But this depends on the use of the database. Can you tell us more about the way you've planned to use the database? This would make it a lot easier to help you.

Best regards,

Peter S

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,723 Views)
If your application works the way: Connect to DB-do something-close the DB just add the db to your distribution (the mdb file). The interface to the DB is provided via the ODBC in widows so you don't need to have the Access installed on the target machine.
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,719 Views)