From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement trigger pulse

Hello,

I have run into a probably very simple but at least for me "tricky" issue:

The VI that I have attached below shows two tasks. The first one (left side) is to acquire US data from an external pulser/receiver. The second task is simply the logging of a thermocouple.

Until now I was using the trigger in the external pulser/receiver as a reference. What I want to implement is now that when the US task is started, my DAQ (PCI 6255) card will send s trigger signal to the external pulser/receiver to initiate the release of an ultrasonic pulse.

I was able to build/modify a couple of example VI's to release a 5V signal. But when I put them together with the existing US Vi, it doesn't work.

How would I add the output of an external trigger signal to the Ultrasound task (the one on the left side) below, and which changes do I have to make to the timing?

According to the manual of the pulser/receiver the trigger signal has to fullfil the following criteria: +5V, >100 ns wide into 50 ohms

Best,

PFL

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,519 Views)

Hi pfl,

to start problem solving you should

- not create and kill tasks in each iteration of your loop. Init/DeInit is done only once outside the loop!

- don't rely on timed while loop to determine your timing. When using DAQmx devices you should rely on their onboard clock to maintain a sample rate!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,460 Views)

Thank You for the reply. I once more looked at the examples and white papers that NI provides and actually found a working example for what I am looking for.

I'll take the comments you made and will try to work over my design again. It does work....but it does require a bit of work^^

Thank You,

PFL

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,443 Views)