From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle the 'folder button' in the path command throug Event loop ?

Hi everybody.

Again a stupid question but I can't find the answer.

My VI has a dynamic event loop, to execute the right code depending on user action.

Everything is working well but now I wish to do the following :

I use a 'path command' with the path entry (like for text) and the folder button.

the user click on the path entry     ->   something A happens.

the user click on the folder button  ->   something B happens.

Command_path_help.png

As the folder button and the path entry are the same command, how to differenciate those two events in the event structure ?

Maybe there is a value in the node, but I can't find it ...

Thanks for helping !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,490 Views)

You can't do exactly what you are wanting to do. The problem is that you can't trigger an action based on clicking the browse button. To implement that you will need to hide the browse button that LV creates and put down a button of your own that you can then track and respond to independently.

Mike...

PS: what is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish?

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 7
(2,476 Views)

okay so there's no way. Too bad.

The goal is to make appear a virtual keyboard when the user clicks on the text zone and not on the browse button...

Thanks for answering !

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,470 Views)
How about trapping moue clicks? Just a thought but it could work.
Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,464 Views)

It would work but it is thrice the time to remove the browse button from the path command and add another browse button next to the path command...

In those kind of case I get borred by Labview...

Too bad...

Thanks anyway !

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,459 Views)
5 minutes? Really too long?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,449 Views)

There is some logic into not responding differently to the browse button: if the user decides not to change the path (e.g. cancels the browse action), then the path value is unchanged and there is not point reacting to that user action.

Since you are apparently trying to develop a code that will be used without a keyboard (but who is REALLY typing a path with a keyboard anyway? The only case figure I can think of is when you PASTE a path into a path control, all actions you can entirely perform with the mouse only), it may make sense for you to add a button next to your path control that would say "Enter Path with Virtual Keyboard".

But most likely, that is going to "bore" you... 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,426 Views)