LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to give User write rights in ProgramData folder in W7

Setting file and folder access permissions is a very complicated thing under Windows 7, something which I've never really managed to achieve in LabVIEW gracefully. I find the built in permissions function is pitifully incapable, and consequently I tend to place my configuration files in the location I mentioned above. It may not be perfect, but I'm not sure how to modify the file access permissions appropriately. I hope someone else can help.

And no, I don't think registry entries will help, unless you choose to place all your configuration details into there.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(788 Views)

This seems like it would be a very common problem, yet I find very little mention of it on the board, or the knowledgebase.  I would have thought NI would have released a white paper on this by now.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(786 Views)

They haven't been entirely silent: Access to System Directories from LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(778 Views)

It's working with Administrators and Authenticated Users just fine.  There is some discussion here about whether or not we want to allow plain old Users (guests) to be able to change settings.  If guests are not allowed to change settings, is there a way to test for this in the program so that the user can be told that the program will not operate properly as a guest?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(762 Views)
There are ways to test for write permissions. Off the top of my head (and away from my PC) I think I would start by hashing up some code that tries to Create a new file in the folder, testing for LabVIEW errors and handling any error as a sign that you can't.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(757 Views)