From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get ethernet packet directly from adaper in labview6.1

I want to get the ethernet packet directly from adaper directly. Which control or function should I use?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,735 Views)
If you really need to work with raw ethernet frames, I think you'll want to turn to something outside of built-in LabVIEW functionality.

One approach would be to purchase or download dedicated packet-capture (aka packet sniffer, network monitor) software that provides a developer API (e.g. a DLL with various packet access/filtering/analysis functions), then access that API from LabVIEW (e.g. by using the Call Library Function Node).

Here's one such piece of software, called WinPCap:
http://winpcap.polito.it/

You didn't give many details about your application.
So, I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a moment and urge you to reconsider whether you really need to go this low-level. I'd suggest carefully defining your goal and making sure you can't a
chieve it with higher-level functions like TCP Read and TCP Write in LabVIEW.

Best Regards,
John Lum
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(2,735 Views)
John,

My project requires the raw ethernet capture and sending because we use our own propritory protocol rather than TCP/IP.

Your answer is exactly what I want. Here is coming two more:

1. Does Ni plan to add capture raw ethernet packet function in further Labview release?

2. Is there any existing VI or function I can download or buy to get the raw ethernet packet instead of building from scrach from .dll lib?

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,735 Views)
Hui,

Answers to your questions:

1. I won't pretend that I know every detail of the LabVIEW product roadmap, but I know enough about the product philosophy that I think it's very unlikely that this would ever be a built-in feature with LabVIEW.

2. Some third-party might have produced such a thing, but I'm not aware of it. I did a search on the Info-LabVIEW archives (another discussion forum for LabVIEW users), and found this, which agrees pretty well with what I've suggested:

http://messages.info-labview.org/2002/06/04/03.html

You might try browsing or searching through the third-party Alliance integrators on the NI Web site (ni.com/alliance) to see if anyone has existing products that are similar to what you need.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,735 Views)