From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a NI Daq and a Konix accelerometre (evaluation board) to register impacts on a Timber or synthetic board.

I have a Konix KXP84 evaluation board, I hve a NI USB 6008 Daq.

I want to use the board to measure impact vibration as part of a college project.

I work full time and am trying to get this done in my free time so getting info is proving difficult.

If I get 1 Accelerometre to read through labview I will the try to get 2 more and triangulate signals to use it as a reference point.

Similar to how a touch screen works will be my end result

Thanks for reading.

I'd appreciate all help, as I have never used labview before and we do not use it in the Semi-Conductor industy that I am in.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,161 Views)

Hi BrackDaq,

Unfortunately, the USB-6501, 6008 and 6009 will not be able to be used for I2C communications. In order to communicate with I2C devices, the digital I/O device needs to be capable of per-cycle tristating. This feature is in NI's 655x series; there is also the USB-8451 which is specific to I2C communication applications. 

The USB-6501, 6008 and 6009 will not meet the requirements for the IDW library. For I2C communication, only the devices that are capable of per-cycle tristating will function appropriately with this library. This eliminates the NI 654x and 656x devices. 

Let me know if you have any further questions

Best regards

Matt Surridge

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,146 Views)

I have sent you a private mail.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,140 Views)

Hi BrackDaq,

This model of accelerometer is doing the ADC (Analog to Digital conversion) on board and then passing the data out via the I2C interface. This is no good as we need to read in the raw voltage other accelerometers are available that will provide this analog voltage output.  

One of these I have used in the past is shown here the amount of acceleration is out put as an analog voltage this can be read in using a simple DAQmx task in LabVIEW which then can be processed as you have described above.

The examples you want to be looking at can be found in the NI Example Finder under the Help > Find examples menu In here you need to expand Hardware input output > DAQmx > Analog input then you will see some examples showing different types of analog data acquisition.  Depending on how your program is intended to function the exact type of DAQ task can be determine.  There is an explanation of what each example does if you click on each different example.

I have also included this link to the DAQmx for USB getting started guide that I think you will find useful.

I hope this helps you, please post any question back and I will endeavor to answer them.

Best regards

Matt Surridge

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,135 Views)