LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the extra device and his COM port of LumaSense 1412i in MAX and communication between the LabVIEW and the measurement by USB

Hi all, I have a measure machine  LumaSense 1412i  for gas measurement and now I wanna control the measurement by the LabVIEW (it connect by a line with USB to the computer). But I only can find the LumaSense 1412i in the device manger in Windows but I cannot find anything on Max.

Hope that anyone can tell me that how can I find this machine (and its COM port) on MAX and how to communicate with it by LabVIEW procedure (collect and send data).

Thanks.

Attached is the information of the device management (see that the LumaSense 1412i  has on it ) and the MAX

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,591 Views)

Hi Fifty,

apparently the Lumasense device is recognized as some special kind of device, but not a default (virtual) COM port. This may happen for devices connected by USB…

LumaSense states on its website:

Communication
The monitor has three interfaces, USB, Ethernet, and RS-232, for data exchange and remote control of the 1412i. The PC software communicates using the USB, Ethernet, or RS-232 interface.

So what did you read in the manual of your device? What is described in there about communication between PC and device?

They also mention a special PC software? Can you access this software?

Can you switch the communication mode or even the communication bus?

Did you ask the LumaSense support about their device?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,559 Views)

Hi, GerdW,

Thanks for your reply.

The answer for your questions:

So what did you read in the manual of your device? What is described in there about communication between PC and device?

There is a lot of thins in the manual document, but nothing here talking about the interaction with LabVIEW(I will double check this tomorrow when I arrive my office).

As your said,USB, Ethernet, and RS-232 are supported, however, only the USB can be used at this stage and can be worked well at this moment.

They also mention a special PC software? Can you access this software?

Yes, this is an software on windows operating system which contains static and simple measurement, however, we want use the LabVIEW to directly control the machine via communicating through the USB or COM for our specific research project.

Can you switch the communication mode or even the communication bus?

We try but one thing is USB works well at this stage and only one month time to delivery this project, and the other is RS-232 has issues on the communication and this is confirmed by the worker of LumaSense.

Ethernet is totally not supported in the real product environment.

Did you ask the LumaSense support about their device?

Yes, we did. They can support the issues only based on the machine.They don't know about the LabVIEW (so do we at this stage...). However, we will program via the LabVIEW to communicate with the USB or COM and control the measurement.

So, how to find the device on the MAX and is that possible to target our requirements?Any advice here?

As I am not an expert for LabVIEW and am on the way of studying on NI series products, any words that may be out of position please forgive me.

Best Regards,

NewFifty.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,544 Views)

Hi Fifty,

from your image all I can say is: this LumaSense device does NOT create a (virtual) COM port. It is detected as a special device in your device manager, using its own device driver.

NI MAX on the other side does ONLY detect NI devices and "standard" ports like COM (or more generic VISA).

So as long as your device is using its own special driver you need to use the software coming with this special driver.

(Possible) solution is: read the device manual, especially the chapters on communication with PC, and/or ask the device manufacturer.

You may attach the manual or provide a link to it so we may also read it…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,535 Views)

Hi Fifty,

the manuals describe the USB driver as "special driver" - as is shown in your first image too.

As it is NOT a (virtual) COM port you are out of luck when trying to communicate with the device using the USB connection and VISA.

To communicate with this device from LabVIEW I recommend to use either RS232 or the Ethernet port…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,518 Views)