LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find Device ID?

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I find the device ID of my CAN card and RIO card (or for anything else)?

I use MAX 4.5 and LabView 8.6.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,149 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bladhart

Open MAX and look under:

My System >> Devices and Interfaces >> NI-DAQmx

It should list all of your DAQ devices and say something like

DAQCard-xxxx: "Dev 0"

DAQCard-xxxx: "Dev 1"

etc

just look for your device 

Cory K
Message 2 of 11
(8,140 Views)

I think I am blind.... I don't see what you have described.

And are the device id just numbers like 1, 2, 3?  If so, I think I have found them.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,125 Views)
Is it under "RIO devices"?
I cant look through your system, but it should be displayed in MAX.
Message Edited by Cory K on 01-05-2009 06:05 PM
Cory K
Message 4 of 11
(8,114 Views)

How to use coding to detect which card is using?

I'm using both USB 6009 & 6210.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,809 Views)

Hello moonlotus,

Here is a community example that allows you to identify the DAQmx devices on your system programmatically in LabVIEW.  here is an example that allows you to determine both traditional DAQ and DAQmx devices on the system, which your devices are DAQmx.

Your best bet is to take a look at these examples, and try to implement a DAQmx Device Property Node as you see fit for your application.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,756 Views)
I'm using LabViews/CVI. Is there any function call to show me the Device ID in C programming?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,718 Views)

Hi moonlotus,

There is a forum for LabWindows/CVI on which it would be more appropriate to post.  However, if you browse to Start»Programs»National Instruments»NI-DAQ»NI-DAQmc C Reference Help, you can see all of the function calls that can be made.  I find it best to browse by index.  You can then search for "DAQmxGetDevProductType" and this should be the equivalent code in C.  "DAQmxGetDev..." is a good starting point for a search.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,605 Views)

Dear Adam,

I am using LabVIEW 64bit with NI-MAX v17.0.0b. I am using two same Thorlabs USB cameras which come with their drivers for LabVIEW. However, sometimes when I run my code it seems that one or the other camera loses connection and I cannot determine the root of this issue. I suspect that it has to do with the ID number that is assigned to them each time I run my code and sometimes it may fail. I had a similar issue even to initiate them and I had to shut down my laptop and start it again to make sure that the ports were not busy somewhere else although I had closed any software that may be using it.

I am not able to detect the cameras with the NI MAX. I've heard people saying that it only displays NI instruments but in my case I see some COM ports that were assigned to some non-NI instrument devices. Also, I have seen that people use the DAQ software which I don't have at the moment. Do I need this to establish a better communication with my devices?

I am new to LabVIEW and I am trying to understand better how LabVIEW works with my peripherals. I know to some people these are easy to answer questions so thanks to anyone who will help me get a better understanding.

Kind regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,190 Views)

Hi Leo,

You're correct that the cameras shouldn't be detected in NI MAX. If your camera is USB 3 vision compliant then you could use the NI-IMAQdx drivers. In this case they would show up in MAX. However, IMAQdx requires a license for use beyond the trial period (it can be obtained by purchasing VAS or NI vision hardware).

For this case, you're using Thorlabs drivers so the cameras won't populate in MAX beyond just showing up as generic COM devices. Regardless, you shouldn't need DAQ drivers, only the Thorlabs or IMAQdx vision acquisition drivers.

When it comes to USB devices it's not uncommon for connection issues to occur due to the USB power options. Specifically, if the USB Selective Suspend option is enabled the PC may intentionally suspend an idle connection to save power. This article mentions how to change this in reference to NI USB DAQ devices, however this might also apply to your USB devices.

Additionally, this forum thread is very old and not specifically relevant to your situation. I recommend posting a new forum thread. You'll likely get more responses by creating a new thread that's specific to your question.

Message 10 of 11
(6,168 Views)