From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exit a TRUE FALSE case with a variable without having to specify the False case?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Labview community,

I got a question that I have frequently encountered, I wonder what is the best solution to this.

Often I need to do an operation to something if a condition is true and there is nothing to do if it is false.

But if I wire that variable.. as in dataflow..then I need to specify what is the false case value. But often I do not need a false case value and it should not be zero either ( as in default if unwired)  for example..

What I tried is simply use a property node of my variable and a sequence as shown in the jpg. Attached VI.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Additional question:

To maintain dataflow with a variable, sometimes I used a similar sequence + error control attached to the property node or error in.

Is there a more elegant way instead of using a sequence + an error control to maintain dataflow?

Bypassing TF case.JPG

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,749 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rajiv85

As a general rule, it's best to have the controls on the outside of the case structure.

Case Pass Through.png

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5
(2,734 Views)

Ahhhhh!! Thank you!!! 👍👍

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,730 Views)

And since you're fairly new and learning, here's a little bit of the *why*.

One little bit of "tribal knowledge" us old-timers carry is that the LabVIEW compiler is able to do more efficient optimizations when controls and indicators are placed on the base block diagram, not inside any structures.   I think this is especially true if those controls or indicators are assigned as wire-able terminals for the vi.

It's a fine-tuning detail, which isn't really crucial in a lot of apps, but it isn't bad to learn about and develop good habits early.

So while we're on the topic of fine-tuning, there's another small mod worth considering.  As shown, the False case will read a value from the control and then write the same value back to it via local variable.  It's essentially a no-op.  You might consider coding it that way to make the no-op nature clear.   See the snippet below.

As for the rule of thumb about putting controls and indicators on the base diagram instead of inside structures, I don't think it applies to local variables, at least not nearly as strongly.

-Kevin P

conditional increment.png

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,699 Views)

Thank you very much Kevin for the tips! I got some valuable tips from you many times before on other posts. As soon as I have time I will try to search your previous posts on the forum to learn more from you 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,679 Views)