From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download Owon SDS1022 Oscilliscope Driver software

I am a student from UW-Platteville with no experience with Labview. As a distance student it is expected that we figure out how to get our equipment to communicate with labview for the first lab. It has been about 3 weeks now, and I have not been able to make much progress.

Following an NI youtube video, I tried to get my usb to show up on nxg. This did not work and my usb did not show up. I have also been unable to find the driver on any of the ni software.

So I downloaded a file from the company website which can be found here, the bottom of the list: https://www.owon.com.hk/support_Application_list5

Which took me awhile because it would not download on multiple browsers.

But when I was finally able to get a non-empty zip file and extract the contents, the read me installation guide gave me this link: http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/visa/NI-VISA/5.0.1/win/visa501full.exe

Upon trying to use it, I got an error message. I will paste an image as an external pdf document.

So I followed the installation video without downloading whatever was on that site.

But it would not allow the driver to be installed, throwing an error that the driver is not digitally signed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,714 Views)

hi werkheiser,

did you have download drivers ? you can download them here f.e. 

After this, look for programming guide for SCPI for this device. Mostly you can connect and communicate over LabView VISA VI's.

You can check communication with NI-Max (inside Visa 20 package).

Greetings

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,680 Views)

This brought me to a Danish Distributer site for that product. I downloaded the link, and the file came with the same exact contents that come with the CD when I first received the product. I downloaded that driver when I first got the instrument no problem. That driver is for OWON's DSO and Ultrawave software. Its their own program so you can see the waveform or control the function generator on your computer, but it does not go to labview. When I bring up labview, even though I have that particular driver installed, labview can not see my instrument.

If you think that driver is the correct driver, then how do I get the contents from the oscilloscope onto labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,661 Views)

Hi,

this owon oscilloscope supports SCPI commands .. watch here

In labview you can communicate by scpi over VISA interface. Its nessesary to install the newest version of VISA, because of implemented device drivers.

Both labview variants (NXG/classic) supports this communication. If you use NXG you can try implemented VISA exsamples for learning how to communicate.
This 3 steps are required :

1) check if you have to configure your scope to use SCPI (maybe possible)
2) connect scope by USB to PC

3) NXG should detect a VISA device, your PC should show the oscilloscope in the device manager. (check manual if nessesary)

after this

you can search inside of Labview via "search recources",  there you should find the scope.

outside of Labview use NI-Max zu discover your connected devices..

If NI-Max has found your oszilloscope, you can use it inside of LV. Else remove all drivers and reinstall include VISA20 first before reconnect.

PS: Because of handling diffenences between the manufactors there is no universal solution for your problem. If nothing is helping, please contact the manufactor for help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,645 Views)

@Werkheiser wrote:

I downloaded that driver when I first got the instrument no problem. That driver is for OWON's DSO and Ultrawave software. Its their own program so you can see the waveform or control the function generator on your computer, but it does not go to labview. When I bring up labview, even though I have that particular driver installed, labview can not see my instrument.

If you think that driver is the correct driver, then how do I get the contents from the oscilloscope onto labview?

The driver may not be installed correctly.

Do you see your scope in Ni-MAX? (Measurement and Automation Explorer)

Does it show up in Windows Device Manager as an "Owon USB Device" or a "USB Test and Measurement Device"?

See my post here about a similar problem with a Yokogawa power analyzer.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,636 Views)

I do not have the faintest clue on how to get the oscilloscope to communicate with labview yet. The scpi commands and your response seem to be contradicting, but I will keep trying.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,601 Views)

How do I configure the scope to use the SCPI programing language to talk to labview.

The owon website claims that labview supports the owon oscilloscope I have. But the SCPI documentation provided does not give any information on how to connect the oscilloscope to labview. Plus there is no documentation that is clear or that works to be able to connect the oscilloscope to labview.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,592 Views)

Honestly LabVIEW "Drivers" are often nothing more than the LabVIEW sending SCPI commands in clear text using (whatever) interface through VISA.

So there is nothing special about LabVIEW

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,575 Views)

I have not made any progress since I have got the oscilloscope. I downloaded the driver no problem the day I got the oscilloscope. There are no owon drivers on the Ni website or in the software or anything. Owon claims that their oscilloscope is supported by labview on their website where point of sale is located. There is no other driver to be downloaded that works. Yet labview still can not see my oscilloscope. To labview, the owon oscilloscope is nothing more than a ghost that does not exist. Hence I am asking what I do now.

Initially I believed perhaps I had the wrong driver software since the oscilloscope is not showing up, but since I have not been able to find any other driver for months, the driver I initially downloaded is the only option.

Using labview is required for the class I am in. Since I have no experience with labview, and it is up to the individual students to figure it out on there own, and there is no documentation to show how to get to oscilloscope to communicate with the computer, of course it will be difficult for someone like me to figure out. Plus all of the other students are using different communication methods, I am on my own and can not ask my fellow pears how they did it since they are using different equipment.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,566 Views)

Well the only thing I can say is that any instrument regardless of type or brand MUST show up in NI-MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer) before it will be available in LabVIEW.  

Read my post above about how the driver was installed  and make sure it is seen as a "test and measurement device" not "Owon Oscilloscope" or something like that in Windows Device Manager.

If that doesn't work I would say it's time to contact Owan or National Instruments for support

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,559 Views)