LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade from NI DAQmx 16.1 to 9.3 version?

Solved!
Go to solution

I upgraded my operating system from windows XP to windows 7. Following this, I installed LabView 8.5 and for NI DAQ USB 6211, I installed the NI-DAQmx 16.1 version driver. But it failed to recognized the DAQmx vi's like Start Task, Stop Task, etc. So bit of searching in NI website here suggested DAQmx is not completely backward compatible with LabView. It turns out DAQmx 9.3 is latest enough to be compatible with LabView 8.5 . So I tried installing DAQmx 9.3 version but it failed popping message "Higher version is already installed". On trying to uninstall DAQmx 16.1, I realized there is no uninstall option either in the installation executable or at the installed path"C:\\Programs\NationalInstruments\".

Kindly suggest a solution to downgrage the DAQmx from version 16.1 to 9.3.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,259 Views)

Hi fubar,

deinstall DAQmx (or maybe all NI software) and install again. Did you check the usual place for deinstallation of software (system settings -> software -> deinstall software)?

There is no other way to "downgrade" DAQmx installations…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(4,254 Views)

Dear GerdW,

As you suggested I looked up at "Add or Remove Programs" section to uninstall DAQmx 16.1 driver, but surprisingly it is not listed in the windows 7 case. Only "National Instruments Software" is listed. This might mean two things:

1. DAQmx 16.1 is not installed. But this cannot be true as during installation of DAQ 9.3, clearly message pops up saying DAQmx higher version is already installed and installation fails.

2. DAQmx 16.1 is installed. But there is no proper way to uninstall the driver. I think this a bug to  not be allowed to uninstall a program.

In contrast, in the case of windows XP, the NI drivers are clearly listed as "National Instruments IVI specific drivers" related to NI hardware in addition to the usual "National Instruements Software" related to LabView Installation.

This situation leaves no choice but to reinstall the operating system, followed by LabView 8.5, followed by DAQmx 9.3. If you further have any other suggestion, I will be happy to know.

sincerely yours,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author colonel.fubar

Hi fubar,

"National Instruments Software" includes DAQmx…

Start to deinstall all "NI software" and you will get a dialog to select, which software components to deinstall. Just try it!

in the case of windows XP

It doesn't matter which OS you are using - the relevant part is the version of the NI software. In older version there might have been several entries in the software list, since several version there is only one entry!

Btw. why do you stay with LV8.5??? Officially it doesn't support a Win7 OS! (Infact its so old it even dropped from the official compatibility list…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 4
(4,211 Views)