From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display multiple signals on the same chart/graph

Hello,

I have a text file that has 21 different signals acquired through NI DAQ. I am able to read the file and display on the chart but the problem is all the signals have the same dynamic range -6 to +6 so when plotted they all show up on top of each other and one cannot really discern whats going on. Please see the attached image.

I am trying to ask the community for help on how could I display all 21 signals separate from each other so that the user can easily differentiate between signals. I thought about adding offsets to the signals but I dont really want to change the actual data and the data set is already large enough that I donot want to creat copies of data.

I am running Labview 10.0.

Any creative ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,268 Views)

Use property nodes to either make one plot bold or, all but one plot transparent (or dotted, darker, etc.).

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,258 Views)

Hi shabu,

you could use the "Stack plots" option as described in the help...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,257 Views)

Thanks for the quick response. I had tried the 'Stack Plots' Option before posting, but it didnt work. See attached image. currently I am feeding data into the chart as a 2D array? Should I use a different format to make the "Stack Plots" option work.

Shoaib

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,251 Views)

It does work. i do not know if it was fixed in the more recent version, but there is a certain way of creating a stack chart. If memory serves me correctly, you need to create a chart, mark it as stack, then go into the properties and add the number of plots.

See picture below:

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,234 Views)

any other ideas? The stacked option is not working for me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,211 Views)

It was too long ago when I last created one. Make sure you initialize the diagram with a cluster or something. Attached is an example.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,200 Views)

Using Stack Plots was my first thought too but it appears to be buggy these days. I know I've used it before with no problems but I can't get it to work now at all. In any case, stacking 21 plots will be futile since you won't be able to see any detail (unless you have a VERY tall monitor).  Your best bet is to use property nodes to make the plot of interest become highlighted in some way. 

EDIT:  I think stacking only works with charts.  You can select it on the right-click pop-up menu.  Then, expanding the plot legend determines the number of stacked plots shown.  Again, since there is so much wasted vertical space when stacking, you'll never be able to see 21 plots concurrently with any detail visible.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,187 Views)