From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop a software such contains menus toolbar and others using LV

I want to develop a complete software for my instrument to provide for my consumer. The software must have toolbars and menus and they are one to one(a menu have a
Corresponding tool with the same use). Like Microsoft Word, the save function can be realized by both menu and toolbar.

some menus execute on Background, and some my open an dialog,like Microsoft Word's font dialog, setting some preferences.

I now make the program using while loop containing event structure and case structure in event structure to deal with menus. But I find it use too much usage t o use while loop as the main structure. Does LV have some Mechanism the callback function in LabWindows?

I dont know how to realize toolbar.Need I build so many boolean controls?

And last,  how to realize the preference dialog which has many check box and an OK button and an Cancel button. I try to realize it using a subvi, but its apperance dont like that of the Microsoft Word. And how to transfer the dialog's preference to the main program?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,172 Views)
An event structure does not use any resources as it waits for an event so I don't understand your comment at all.

There is a shipping example called Toolbar using Splitter Bars. Yes, you have to create your own Booleans unless you place an ActiveX toolbar at the top of the panel.

In general, you should be using the system palette to reproduce a ms dialog. Post what you have written so that you can show what you don't like about the appearance.

And, what is the exact difficulty you are having in transfering back to the main VI? The most basic method is to use the subVIs connector pane. If you have a lot of variables, bundle them together.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,158 Views)
A good start might be (my) Boolean XControl, which allows you to load a different picture for every boolean straight from disk.
Building a comprehensive GUI is a lot of work on LabVIEW but it can be done.
Using Controls from the system palette is a must for this kind of options (the LabVIEW options is built with normal LabVIEW VIs).

You can create your own callback with User Events, but an event structure works OK.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,155 Views)