LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug an application crash that only occurs within the executable and not in development?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Hooovahh,

there has been the bug which doesn't allow you to open the block diagram of an EXE - even with the right-click menu you get in your debug session.

You need to show the standard LabVIEW menu bar to be able to access the block diagram - which is quite ugly in an EXE…

Has this been resolved with LV2015?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,853 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

there has been the bug which doesn't allow you to open the block diagram of an EXE - even with the right-click menu you get in your debug session.

You need to show the standard LabVIEW menu bar to be able to access the block diagram - which is quite ugly in an EXE…

Do you have a CAR?  I've never heard of this bug and just tested in 2011 and 2013 built EXEs and I had no trouble opening the block diagram when the menu bar is not shown.  

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,840 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

as I opened a ServiceRequest some years ago I have a CAR to present…

The ServiceRequest was closed/solved by the words: GerdW reported the same behavior as in CAR 130070. I suggested him the given workarounds.

The workaround was to show the standard LabVIEW menu to be able to open the block diagram when debugging an EXE. This was in LV2011, I never tried to debug an EXE later on…

Edit: The bug I noticed prohibited my from choosing the menu as is shown in this AppNote, point 4: AFAIR there was no "Show block diagram" option or it was grayed out…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,825 Views)

Okay now I see the bug is a bit more clear.  For me I always have the Wait for Debugger on Launch, so I run my VI, then connect to debug, then I can open the block diagram, place probes and break points, then run the VI.  This works in 2011 SP1, and 2013 SP1 as mentioned earlier.

But if I try to connect to an already running VI I do not get the right click menu in 2011 SP1, but I do in 2013 SP1.  I don't have 2012 available at the moment to test.

EDIT:  I thought another possible solution would be to use the property node to open the block diagram.  This normally throws an error in an EXE because there is no scripting but I thought it might work as a remote debugging since it would be launched through the IDE, but it doesn't work either.

Double EDIT:  In 2011 could you have a button of screen that gets invoked with an uncommon command (CTRL+SHIFT+F5) which then sets the runtime menu to have the show block diagram?  Then most of the time your EXE works like normal but when you need to debug, this command adds the menu to show the block diagram?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,815 Views)

@NGerry wrote:

I've same problem. Turning off the webserver (in the .ini file

WebServer.Enabled=False) solve this 🙂

For me, this was also the solution (in LV2014)... Any idea why?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,418 Views)