LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create "dynamic customized icons" (not sure how to call what I want to mean)

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to create an icon that can behave in a way similar to "Build Array" or "Build Cluster Array" so that it repeats some kind of functionality or connection by stretching it down? I mean, imagine the "Boolean to (0,1)" small icon. If I have many wires, instead of placing a single icon for each wire I would like to have a single icon that I can stretch like when you pull the "Build Array" down to add more array elements connections. Or is this some deep programming thing that goes beyond what the software allows to be done at user level? You can make static sub VI icons with fixed connections that can be smaller than 32x32, but how can you create one of those that can be dynamically modified in shape as required? The "Scan From String" one is a good example.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,294 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoseO

Hi Jose,

Is there a way to create an icon that can behave in a way similar to "Build Array" or "Build Cluster Array" so that it repeats some kind of functionality or connection by stretching it down?

You are asking for XNodes.

Search the forum for that term, there was a discussion just a week ago. Done: read this!

I mean, imagine the "Boolean to (0,1)" small icon. If I have many wires, instead of placing a single icon for each wire I would like to have a single icon that I can stretch like when you pull the "Build Array" down to add more array elements connections.

You gave the wrong example: use BuildArray followed by "Boolean To 0/1"…

(See the recent XNode discussion!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,289 Views)
Solution

Thanks GerdW.

I don't think that "Boolean to (0,1)" was a 'bad example'. What I meant was that I would like to turn something like it into something like "Build Array" in terms being able to stretch it too to make many Booleans together, the same way that I can stretch the little  "Build Array" icon to give it many inputs.

I'll check on the XNode topic. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,253 Views)
Solution

Hi Jose,

I still think it's a bad example:

What would be the output of such a stretched BoolTo01 node?

- When it should return an array you should use BuildArray followed by (polymorphic!) BoolTo01.

- When it should return a scalar output value for each input you should use single BoolTo01 functions on each wire.

When you have the need to handle a lot of boolean wires in your code you should think about using arrays or clusters anyway…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,247 Views)
Solution

Hi G:

Well, you are concentrating too much in only that single step. I need to manage some bytes that come as text, separate their bits into 1s and 0s, then have a "(0,1) to Bool" (LabView provides is "Bool to (0,1)", not that, and I need to do some different stuff) because I need those separate booleans to do independent things down their own wires and not as a group, and so on. 

Also, it is not only for that. I only mentioned the bool as a rough example for a block diagram simply because it was a very small icon, nothing to do with its actual purpose. What I wanted to have is the general knowledge to make 'any' XNode, and the link that you provided has some good info that I can play with. I like to complicate my life unnecessarily for fun, don't worry. 🙂 This is only for my entertainment, not for work of anything.

Thanks again for the links.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,241 Views)