LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a universal remote control (IR) using USB or RS232 and LV 7.1?

Hello,

I'd like to create an interface able to read TV or set top box remote control IR messages and also to send IR messages (learned via IR). Finally, I'd like to create an easy to use and cheap universal (and adaptative) remote control, drivable via Labview.

Thank you in advance for your help.

bim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(8,434 Views)
I think your request is impossible. You want something cheap, easy and adaptable.
First, you have to create the program. I think remote controls work on a principle like morse or binary code (i.e. pulse on\off\long\short) so you have to interface with your IR device and learn how to read and write these pulses. Then you have to build a mechanism for learning and storing the data, an interface and finally, a way to send the data. While this isn't impossible or even particularly hard, it takes time and requires skill.
Second, you need a device with IR capabalities which works with LV. This is a problem. The cheapest would be a PDA, but that's not cheap and not good on battery consumption. You could use a computer, but you'd need an IR interface and you can't take it with you, so it isn't really a remote control, is it?
So, while it sounds like an interesting and fun project, I don't think you can do it cheap and easy. Why not use a real universal remote? I've heard of one you connect to the internet, tell it which devices you have and it downloads the codes by itself. Also, you can program it to synchronize. For example, when you press DVD, the DVD will turn on, the TV will switch to the right channel, the audio system will go to the proper mode and so on.

(8,409 Views)
Ok,
I'm aware of the difficulties. I also have seen several universal remote controls that corresponds to my request, but as I'm using LabVIEW for a while, I thought it was doable to "read" the signal send by a classic RC via an IrDA port (not wireless) linked to my USB or serial input, then to analyze the signal using LabVIEW functions (I don't know exactly which ones but LV seems to be able to).
The final cost of the equipment should be the IrDA adapter and the time of programming. The main interest of not using a universal RC is that the system should be adapted to severa
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(8,405 Views)
...several PCs using only an IrDA adapter.
The main issue is the get read the signal received by the IrDA device and to drive this adapter to send signals.

But I know it's only hypotetical for the moment...it's just an idea!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(8,403 Views)
I've used some IR controllers and receivers. It's not difficult to monitor the IR port. The difficult part will be programming the remote control unit. However, if you are using a pc based IR controller or a PDA with IR port, then it's possible to make it work.

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(8,399 Views)
Don't get me wrong. It can be done, it just won't be a stand alone remote control for your TV, stereo, DVD and so on.

(8,397 Views)
You're right tst, I didn't say I don't want a stand alone RC. The thing in my head looks like an IrDA adapter linked to serial or USB port via a 1-2m cable, drivable by a LV virtual RC (just an adapted UI). Sorry for the lake of details...

Thank you Joe, but do you have more details about how to have access to the "translation" (or waveform) of IrDA signals received by the PC. Where is it most effective to "attack" the IrDA adapter? To my mind the Ir signals (whatever the RC we want to "copy", Philips, Nec, etc.) are normalized, am I wrong? Is there already functions that could help me to translate, save and send Ir messages?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(8,394 Views)
It would be simple visa/serial/IR read and write. To learn the remote controller, your application will monitor the serial data stream from the IR receiver, which is connected to your IR port or serial port. To send out the signal, just write the data packet (normally 2 or 4 bytes) to the port.

-Joe
Message 8 of 23
(8,385 Views)
Ok,
I'll try this solution that seems simple and low cost.
Thank you for your help Joe.
Kind regards
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(8,378 Views)
you are welcome, bimbim. For your reference, here is one of the IR receivers I've used: IRMan.

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(8,366 Views)