LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert .vi file to .exe file.

Hi all, i have done up my .vi program and would like find out if there's a way to compile it into a .exe file so that the users of this program do not need install labview and then download my .vi program.

I'm hoping this .exe file will enable the user to launch and use the .vi program straight away. 

Fyi, i am using Labview version 8.5

If any one knows how to perform the above operation please let me know. Thanks alot. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,334 Views)

This is a common question. What did you do a search for? Every VI is compiled. In order to build an exe, you need either the professional version of LabVIEW or buy the Application Builder. Each pc will also require the installation of the runtime engine and any hardware drivers you might be using.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,329 Views)

You can also bundle the runtime environment with whatever program you've made, so that whoever you give the program to will have all the elements necessary just from your .exe. It is pretty self explanatory, but something I found tricky was that I had to have my VI inside a project, not standalone. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,270 Views)

Yes, the LabVIEW runtime engine (LRTE) will have to be loaded on any machine that a LabVIEW "exe" is to run on. As the previous posters have said you need to either be developing with the "Professional Developer" package or have purchased the"Application Builder". With either of those (the App builder is an add on that is included with the Professional Developer pacakge) you can create an installer that will install the Runtime engine, or the end user can download it from the NI site. The LRTE is pretty big, around 171 Mb at the moment, so downloading might not be the optimal method for the "customer".

Microsoft has a similar requirement for their products (Visual Basic, etc.), the "runtime engine" equivalent is installed with the Windows installation.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 5 of 8
(7,262 Views)

How come they have you put the runtime on the host computer instead of making it a real exe?

It would make more sense, or at least a choice on whether or to make it built into the program or in the host computer...

hi
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,976 Views)

It is a real exe. No different than other programming languages - .NET, Java, etc. A long time ago, the exe did include the runtime engine. The current method becomes much more efficient when you install more than 1 exe.

Message 7 of 8
(6,970 Views)