LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a PC host to a RT target without conflict?

Solved!
Go to solution

I developed an application and then built it and deployed to a cRIO processor.  It runs correctly on start up.  There is also a host PC (computer) application that needs to communicate to the RT target.  When I connect the PC to the target, I get the message that it will shut down the RT target, and it does if I continue.  I then have to manually start the RT target again.  How can I avoid this?  Attached is the screen shot message that I get.  This particular application will always require the use of the host PC.  In other words the RT target would never run on its own to be useful.  In short, I’d like the end user to connect the PC to the system and keep it running after the entire application had been shut down.  How do I do this?  I’m using LV 2009 SP1 with NI-RIO 3.4.0.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,975 Views)

@dj143 wrote:

I developed an application and then built it and deployed to a cRIO processor.  It runs correctly on start up.[...]

This sounds like you have created a startup-exe for your cRIO. So this is what you do if you want the cRIO to run independently from your host. This is what you do if you want the cRIO to start working as soon as you power it.

Running a VI from your LV project on the cRIO is for debugging. So if an executable is running on the cRIO, it will have to terminate before you can run the debugging version of the VI.

So regarding what you want to have, you either have not to run the application as startup-exe at all or you must not connect to the cRIO using your LV project.

If you choose to keep the rtexe, you will have to implement an interface to it in order to exchange data with your host. You should take a look into the cRIO reference architectures for ideas for possible solutions. This reference architecture shows a quite good solution....

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,963 Views)

Hi,

seems the "host PC application" has some connection in the project structure, which causes the deployment by starting up. Check the structure to insure the host application is under "My computer" in the structure tree. Also the variables should be clearly defined under cRIO target.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,954 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dj143

Most likely what is happening is that your PC application is set to Autodeploy your variables.  If you have your variables hosted on the cRIO, but use them in your PC VI (which is what they are for, right?) and have the option to autodeploy, then you will run into this problem.  All you need to do is right click on your cRIO and deselect "Autodeploy Variables".  This is explained in this KB

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D9CF23FD2534E128862575430080CA17?OpenDocument

Message 4 of 5
(2,933 Views)

This is it.  I checked the Disable Autodeploy Variables and now it's working.  Apparently this is a new option that I was not familiar with.  (This is my first RT application since updating to LV 2009.)

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,921 Views)