LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to communicate to a Wifi Dongle (plugin to PC USB Port) to make connection to an AP(with known MAC Address)?

I have a Wifi Dongle plug in to PC USB Port.

Using LABVIEW, how to make communication to this Wifi Dongle to make connection to a Wifi AP (with known MAC Address)?

The PC OS is either Window XP SP3 or Win7.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,657 Views)

Form what you have explained i understood following things please confirm,

1. You have one computer (PC-1), to this a USB wifi dongle is connected.

2. You have another PC(PC-2) on which some application program is running.

3. You want to communicate from PC-1 to application program running on PC-2

Answer to this:

1. Both the computers should be in same network (for this you may need router/switch to put them in same network, dongle will not work, dongle will only provide internet connectivity)

2. If you are using LabVIEW then you should have server program running on one PC and client program running on other.

3. To develop server and client program you can use TCPIP communication API.

4. The client program can connect with server,provided, client has server PC IP address and port number to whch it can connect.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

With Regards

Miraz
Kudos is better option to thank somebody on this forum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,628 Views)

I assume that the WiFi Dongle is to provide a connection to a network over WiFi.  I also assume that since you refer to the other PC having a WiFi connection with a known MAC Address, it is also connected to the same network.

Can the two computers "see each other" in Windows?  Can you "remote desktop" between them, or share files?  [I assume that you can, since if you are setting two computers up on a network, I assume it is the same network for both of them].  If so, then the computers are communicating by TCP/IP, which is being implemented via your USB WiFi dongle.  You should be able to make use of the various LabVIEW TCP/IP tools, including Network Streams, TCP/IP communication protocols (including FTP), and VI Server to do things between the two machines.

However, you need to make sure that both machines have TCP/IP enabled in LabVIEW (it is off, by default).  Open LabVIEW, go to Tools, Options, VI Server, and make sure that the TCP/IP box is checked.  I've always left the port at the default value of 3363.

Good Luck.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,621 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, my description of test was not clear.

I have attached the Test Setup.

We need to test a UUT, which is a standalone Wifi AP(with bluetooth chip).

The purpose is to check the Wifi and Bluetooth connection and the RSSI (Receive Signal Strength Index) of both the Wifi and Bluetooth.

Using LABVIEW, how to communicate to the Dongles inorder to achieve the desired tests?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,608 Views)