LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to collect sound signals from cell phone?

Hello sir,

I have a question about using buit-in microphone sensor of smart phone (iphone or other android cell phone) or external microphone that linked to the smart phone. 

I would like to collect a period of sound signal using the microphone and let my LabVIEW program obtain the sound data. So that I could analyze it using LabVIEW. I think I might need an APP on my cell phone to log the sound signal and this APP has a function that could let my LabVIEW VI download/read the data. 

Could you give me some suggestions how to let LabVIEW obtain the sound signal from cell phone using built-in microphone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,916 Views)

Here's a way it might work.  If your phone app caused the microphone data to save to a dropbox folder, LV could monitor the location and pick up the file for analysis. Presumably, LV could also put a message there that the phone app could interpret (take recording, exit app, etc.). By using the file system as an intermediary you would not need to have LV directly control the phone.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,892 Views)

Thanks. I will try to find that kind of APP. And could you explain "LV could also put a message there that the phone app could interpret (take recording, exit app, etc.)"? I cannot totally understand this file system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,875 Views)

For all intents, Dropbox would look like a file system folder that both the phone and your computer could access (assuming your phone is capable).  If you wrote a file to it with one system the other would be able to "see" it.  

It sounded like you were planning, if needed, to develop your own phone app.  As such, you would be able to cause the phone to look in this shared-access folder for a "message" from LV and react to the content of that file.  The file LV wrote to the common folder might be as simple as "R60" which could be opened, read, and interpretted by the phone to mean "record for 60 seconds".  I would not expect you'd be able to find an app already built that would do that.   Automatically saving a recording to a file folder perhaps, but not the part about "receiving and interpreting messages".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,861 Views)

You're looking at a relatively complex way to solve an easy problem.  Is there any reason you're looking to use a phone rather than using a microphone? 

If you can find a way to plug your phone directly into your computer so you can play the sound from your computer speakers, you should be able to treat it like any other microphone input to the computer.  But, why wouldn't you just use the microphone at this point?

What is it that has you wanting to use a phone versus using a microphone?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,824 Views)

Because I want to analyze the acoustic signal remotely. That's my thinking: I use my iphone collecting sound signal outside the house and then I can quickly analyze the signal inside the house using LabVIEW. I just want my iphone to be a small DAQ and transmission system. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,812 Views)