LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid one single large TDMS file?

Hei

I am testing the constant logging for multichannel cases.

If I log the measurement for more than 1 hour, the file size becomes more than 6.6 G.

My VISTA 32bit system does not support a single file which is more than 4 GB, and I have to use this computer for analysis.

How to avoid generating a single file in the constant logging (TDMS)?

Thanks a million

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,980 Views)

Hi Guosong,

I would consider this as a very valuable request for TDMS files, but unfortunately we don't have this functionality currently. I'm afraid you have to implement it by yourself. For example, you can record down how much data values you already have written and when it comes to some threashold, you start to write a new TDMS file.

Yongqing Ye

NI R&D

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,978 Views)

Is there TDMS file splitter?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,978 Views)

Try to use the TDMS Defragment VI. For my application I reduced the file size to a 5th.

( What I prefer is to setup logging trigger during the aquisition to log only relevant data. )

Hope it helps

Christian

Message 4 of 15
(2,978 Views)

thanks a lot

I will try it.

In addition, our usages are long term observation in field trials. I am afraid that your advice can not be applied.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,976 Views)

If your requirement is for long term like monitoring solution. CITADEL is also a good option.

-HS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,974 Views)

I am not used to TDMS files that BIG. Is the 4 GB a limetation of TDMS or your OS. It could perhaps be that you are using FAT32 and not NTFS as your file system

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,968 Views)

You are right. My 32 bit system does not support a file more than 4 G, but the system of WIN7 64bit does.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,962 Views)

This has nothing to do with 32 bit OS versus 64 bit OS. I am running XP 32 bit. But I have formatted my disk in NTFS fileformat. So larger files than 4 GB is no problem. As implemented, the maximum NTFS file size is 16 TB. If you right-click on the disc icon in explorer and select properties. You may find out what file system you are using. By right-clicking on the disc icon in explorer, then select properties

You can convert a FAT32 disc to NTFS. So you do not have to reformat. I think this is part of the standard windows tools. Since I am not using VISTA. I can not help you. But try Google 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,958 Views)

My disc format is NTFS, and error happens if I copy the file more than 4G to this computer of VISTA

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,954 Views)