LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to actually PURCHASE LabVIEW Student Edition?

Look, I'm just trying to buy a license for LabVIEW student edition. I cannot seem to find it, and yet the software requires a license. Where does one buy this? Every single article I find on the subject is about how to enter the license once I buy it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out HOW to actually buy it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,632 Views)

Hi Baphijmm,

@Baphijmm wrote:

figure out HOW to actually buy it.

When you want to buy something then why don't you call the local sales office of the manufacturer?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,626 Views)

Do I really have to call someone just to purchase a piece of software I downloaded online for a class I'm taking? That seems... AWFULLY outdated. Why can't I just buy it on the website, like literally everything else I'm seeing offered here?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,621 Views)

Hi Baphijmm,

@Baphijmm wrote:

Why can't I just buy it on the website, like literally everything else I'm seeing offered here?

Because for a Student version you  need to prove you are entitled to that LabVIEW version…

@Baphijmm wrote:

piece of software I downloaded online for a class I'm taking?

Why don't you ask your teacher that forces you to use LabVIEW when you are taking a class? Your teacher should know how to provide you with the tools you need to finish your class!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,605 Views)

I'm not quite sure about the current status, but in the past the Student License was either bought from online places like Prentice Hall or Studica, after you had proven to be eligible for it. There is also a book from R. Bishop that came with a license if I'm not mistaken.

Alternatively a school or university could enter into an academic license deal with National Instruments that allowed them to install LabVIEW on all school owned computers and optionally also provide a copy to their students taking classes.

With the recent changes in the National Instrument sales channels this might not be the same anymore, but you'll have to talk with NI about that.

Also depending on what the course purpose is, you may be able to use the LabVIEW Community Edition instead. It is available for use of personal not for profit use as well as K-12 (Primary & Secondary school) courses. But for all academic level courses and research projects, your school needs an academic license agreement from NI.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 9
(5,563 Views)

Maybe I am wrong, but most LabVIEW version are the same download. The "flavor" is determined by the activation. (The Community edition is somewhat special, because it includes some extra stuff).

Still if LabVIEW is a course requirement, the school will need to tell you how to get it.

You have not told you what kind of "class" you are taking. If this is a required course of a degree granting institution, the above is correct. Contact the school!

If this is just for personal hobby use or K-12, the community edition is an valid option. Please carefully read the detailed requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,541 Views)

We got it figured out; the licensing system apparently changed dramatically with the branding change to NI over the last year, so the teacher wasn't expecting any issues. But, we got it.

I should say, this is actually for grad school, but it's considered a senior-level college course in instrumentation.

Message 7 of 9
(5,507 Views)

So what did you do to purchase it then?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,972 Views)

The "probable" answer is that @baphijmm  didn't (and couldn't) purchase it!  Instead, the school purchased an "academic license", which allows verified students to load LabVIEW on their computers for the purpose of taking a course.

There are several "flavors" of LabVIEW Licenses.  "Commercial" licenses come in "tiers", "Base" (least expensive), "Full" (more expensive), and "Professional" (even more expensive).  Additional products (such as LabVIEW Vision) have their own (separate) licenses.

The "Community" Edition is free for individuals, has a term of one year, and cannot be used for Commercial, Research, or Academic purposes (but can be used for learning LabVIEW "for yourself", hobbyist projects, etc.).

An "Academic" license is for Academic institutions, for teaching and research.

There are probably other categories, but these should cover most of the more common uses.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I suspect this reply is approximately 75% correct ...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,948 Views)