LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I learn labview?

Hello .

I just attended labview core 1 and core 2 classes and now I want to use instruments in order to start developing some programs . My company uses all kinds of instruments like agilent ,oven to integrate in labview. But I think I don't have this much knowledge in order to develop a program and start playing around.Please if somebody can help me that in order how should I proceed.I have basic knowledge to do things which they taught in class.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,012 Views)

My advice is to start playing around.  If you don't know how something works, you ask a coworker or here on the forums.  Playing around is by far the best way to learn.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,008 Views)

Thank you for replying . I am trying to do that. I hope I go somewhere with that. Its getting frustrated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,002 Views)

@gbedi wrote:

Thank you for replying . I am trying to do that. I hope I go somewhere with that. Its getting frustrated.

Cheer up buddy. You can play a lot with LabVIEW initially don't go for projects and stuffs start with funny things and play with images, colors, graphics you will start enjoying that and the same way I started it.
-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,997 Views)

Thanks for replying yes it give me hope that something can be done.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,989 Views)

My advice is to post a really simple question like "What is a Local Variable?" and let one of the usual suspects yell at you to take the tutorials.  Smiley Very Happy

You asked nicely so I'll skip the middleman and point you there directly.  (I borrowed these from Ravens Fan, he probably has it macroed since searching for 'tutorials' in his posts on LabVIEW forum gives hundreds of results.)

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

Message 6 of 14
(2,985 Views)

You should continue to read the forums as well. Learnign at work can be effective but it depends on who you are working with. If you are fortunate to work with some good LabVIEW programmers that can provide an excellent learning environment. On the flip side if the LabVIEW folks you work with are substandard programmers learning there can actually stunt your progress. If the code at your office is filled with sequence structures, global/local variables or looks like a jumble of wires it probably isn't the best to learn from. In adition, you may take advice from th epeople who created it with a grain of salt. Here on th eforums you will get expose to good programming practices. Take them to heart. Learnign th eright way to do things is much easier in the long run than trying to unlearn bad habits.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,983 Views)

Look at examples and drivers for the instruments you will be using. This code is already written and (usually) works.  Open the diagrams and look at how they did things.

Be aware that some of the older examples and drivers are rather poorly written.  So do not assume that just because you found it somewhere, even included with LV, that is is well written code.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,980 Views)

I already had taken labview core 1 and core 2 course . Now I want to apply this in using to controls instruments and reading from it and giving them signals . How to proceed for that ? That's what my biggest questions is?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,979 Views)

@gbedi wrote:

I already had taken labview core 1 and core 2 course . Now I want to apply this in using to controls instruments and reading from it and giving them signals . How to proceed for that ? That's what my biggest questions is?

On of the best ways is to learn by doing. Pick a few basic tasks you want or need to do at work and start there. If you need to configure an instrument try to do that. Read some data back from an instrument. Little by little you will start picking things up and see how you can apply those basics tasks to a larger application.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,974 Views)