From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use the daq assistant to acquire data from a digital temperature sensor that needs to sent a command to do the reading?

I need to read data from a temperature sensor into labview. I do not know how to configure the daq assistant to be able to read this digital data. Also, the temperature sensor will not read until it is told to do so. Therefore LabView must tell it when to read.
What I have done so far is I selected the Daq Assistant and selected Digital I/O, and then selected input port (this will be the port that will be sending the digital temperature readings). For acquisition mode I selected 1 sample (on demand) because the temperature sensor will not send a reading until it is told to do so, this is the problem, it is not only an input it is also and output, how can you set the port as input and output at the same time. I also have to select another Digital I/O which will be the clock output (I would like Labview to generate the clock for the temperature sensor, but I am not sure how to do that either).
I would appreciate any help I could get on this.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,477 Views)
There is something unusual here. What kind of temperature sensor are you using ? seems that you are trying to use DAQ while your sensor is a serial instrument...

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,471 Views)
It's a Dallas Semiconductor Digital Thermometer and Memory (DS1624)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,470 Views)
This sensor can be read only through a serial connection with a dedicated communication protocol. The DAQ assistant can't be used here since this is a very specific situation. I suggest you post this question again with a more specific title, such as "Does anybody know how to connect a Dallas 1624 thermometer ?"
Sorry to be unable to help you further...
CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,462 Views)
Your DS1624 can only be accessed through serial communication, 2-wire mode. You will also need a serial clock (SCL) to control the device. Please go to the following link for more informatio non the DS1624:

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS1624.pdf

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3272
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,437 Views)