cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop an event structure loop?

Solved!
Go to solution

@BertMcMahan wrote:

It sounds like you're getting some help with your specific problem so I'll help you out with the links you asked about:

https://learn.ni.com/pages/getting-started

https://learn.ni.com/courses/labview-core-1-lesson-1

https://learn.ni.com/catalog?labels=%5B%5D&page=1&query=LabVIEW%20Core%201&values=%5B%5D

Some of that DOES require an active SSP but it's pretty common to have those. Here's where I got the links:

BertMcMahan_0-1648229395603.png

Also, in LabVIEW, go to Help -> Find Examples. LabVIEW ships with a boatload of examples and 99.9% of them are actually really good and helpful. I've only found a couple that didn't help and they're for some fairly specific things.

It does appear that the links are not as good as they used to be, but here is a link to an Introduction to LabVIEW that covers a lot of the fundamentals.

https://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(748 Views)

Thank you Mr. Altenbach. I will compare it with what I have and see what I did wrong. So I can learn something. I am more of a visual learner too.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(733 Views)

Oh yes, Mr. Altenbach. I love programming. This is one of the reasons I am learning this. I understand  a block diagram node executes when it receives all required inputs. When a node executes, it produces output data and passes the data to the next node in the dataflow path. The movement of data through the nodes determines the execution order of the VIs and functions on the block diagram. A block diagram executes from left to right.

I understand all that. I just like to come to the forum for help with minor because there are so many people that know way more than I do and I can even learn better ways. Do you remember back in the school when you would have all the math books, but still have to go to the math teacher for better explanation or a solution. This is kind of similar case. I don't know I'm just afraid now to ask questions now because then someone would tell me go read your book or go learn from NI learning center. The NI learning center  provides good information. I doubt these are  all I need to be on your level or GWERD. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(708 Views)

@GRCK5000 wrote:

A block diagram executes from left to right.

This is incorrect. If you lay the program out correctly then it will run from left to right, but there is nothing that forces this. The only thing that keeps a node from running, no matter where it is on the block diagram, is that all of its inputs are available.

@GRCK5000 wrote:

I just like to come to the forum for help with minor because there are so many people that know way more than I do and I can even learn better ways. Do you remember back in the school when you would have all the math books, but still have to go to the math teacher for better explanation or a solution. This is kind of similar case. I don't know I'm just afraid now to ask questions now because then someone would tell me go read your book or go learn from NI learning center. The NI learning center  provides good information. I doubt these are  all I need to be on your level or GWERD. 

I think that you will find that GerdW is actually very helpful, but he does often point out when you failed to read the help for a particular function or structure as was the case in this thread. This is to try to help you to learn to do the basic stuff on your own (learn by doing) and come to the forum for help in growing further. 

Message 14 of 18
(704 Views)

Sorry for saying that you roasted me. Sometimes messages can be misinterpreted or misunderstood. It's just so frustrating sometimes when you would ask a simple question and someone would be like "Have you read the tutorials or go to NI learning center". I don't mind going to the NI learning center. I believe I've been there, but I doubt the NI learning center alone is the only resource where you can become a great programmer like yourself. Remember back in school when you would have your math, science books, but still had to go to your teacher for questions, even simple questions or let's say you are in some Bible study and you asked a question and the leader tells you to go read the Bible while he could just give you the answer on the spot. Telling the student to go read a book is good, but sometimes people need to know the answer on the spot, sometimes they ask questions for better understanding.  That's kind of similar situation with me. Someone can read all the tutorials but their understanding pm certain stuff can be different from yours. This is the main reason I would come and ask questions because I believe you guys know more and would be willing to help. 

But  I  apologize if I am asking too many questions in here or "stupid questions". I just thought this forum was a cool place to learn. 

Message 15 of 18
(700 Views)

See this is the reason we need a forum to help each other. I learned something from what you said. Thanks for the correction. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(694 Views)

@GRCK5000 wrote:

Sorry for saying that you roasted me. Sometimes messages can be misinterpreted or misunderstood. It's just so frustrating sometimes when you would ask a simple question and someone would be like "Have you read the tutorials or go to NI learning center". I don't mind going to the NI learning center. I believe I've been there, but I doubt the NI learning center alone is the only resource where you can become a great programmer like yourself. Remember back in school when you would have your math, science books, but still had to go to your teacher for questions, even simple questions or let's say you are in some Bible study and you asked a question and the leader tells you to go read the Bible while he could just give you the answer on the spot. Telling the student to go read a book is good, but sometimes people need to know the answer on the spot, sometimes they ask questions for better understanding.  That's kind of similar situation with me. Someone can read all the tutorials but their understanding pm certain stuff can be different from yours. This is the main reason I would come and ask questions because I believe you guys know more and would be willing to help. 

But  I  apologize if I am asking too many questions in here or "stupid questions". I just thought this forum was a cool place to learn. 

Most people learn by doing rather than being spoon fed an answer. I actually prefer if the Bible study leader helps to direct me to the answer rather than just giving me an answer - it better enables me to be able to then lead others . The same is true here - a combination of "this is how to do it and why" and "this is where to find the answer" helps me to do it myself and become a better LabVIEW programmer. Don't stop asking questions.

Message 17 of 18
(667 Views)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Yes, I felt a little down because I have learned more from this forum than from the NI learning center. I don't know about other people in here. I am just speaking for myself. Sometimes, I would go and see what people are posting so I can learn something. We are all different. Some other people way of learning can be different from mine. I just hope some people understand that. So if I don't have ask questions here , I don't know where else. lol.

Message 18 of 18
(661 Views)