LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pass waveform attributes across the network with a network published shared variable?

I have the analog input source for a waveform on one NI chassis. The trigger to begin the trend is on another NI chassis. Both of them feed data to a remote Windoze host. I would like to know how I can pass the waveform attributes, ie. Plot Names from the source machine to the Windoze host using a network published shared variable. I am using LV8.0. My two remote chassis are both running RTOS.

I can see that when I set up the DAQ assistant and named my aquired signals, that these names are passed to a waveform chart on the same block diagram. I can use them to update the Plot Names on my front panel. However, when I create an "Array of Double Waveform based" network published shared variable, and then read that variable from the Windoze host there are no attributes attached. The waveform shows up just fine.

R.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,221 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for posting to the NI Discussion Forums.  The channel name attribute is one of the custom waveform attributes added by the DAQ driver software.  In addition to these items added by DAQ, it seems as though any custom attribute added to the waveform is not sent with the shared variable.  I have sent notice to R&D to take a look at this problem (issue 3VQEIA3A), but I do not have any sort of timeline on when/what will come of this.  For now, it looks like you will have to send any data about the waveform over to the Windows client machine separately.  For example, you could create a new variable of 2-D string data where you would populate the array with <key,value> pairs of the waveform data you are concerned with.  If you were interested in how to extract the channel name from the waveform, or any of the other properties set by the DAQ software check out the “details” in the context help for the “set waveform attribute” VI.

Hope this helps!

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(2,207 Views)
Thanks Travis. I appreciate the time you took to build me that set of VI's. I now have things working as I wanted them to go. It just would have been so much simpler if the attributes were passed with the waveform.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,198 Views)