LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I have a cRIO register its IP address with the DNS server, clearing any previous entries?

I've run into a problem when I try to move a cRIO-9073 from one network segment to another (say 10.1.33.x to 10.1.36.x):  The old IP address remains registered on our DNS server, so trying to access the cRIO by its DNS name fails as the DNS server tells my PC to look for the old IP address.

When I search the DNS server from my PC using "NSLOOKUP" with the old IP address, it finds the DNS name of the device.  If I repeat the search with the new IP address (MAX finds the device with its new address, but I hate to have users use MAX to find it), it again returns the DNS name, so it appears the DNS name is registered under two IP addresses on our DNS server.  I've also repeatedly tried to flush my PC's DNS cache using command "IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS", but it still tries the old IP address.  I also see in MAX that the cRIO is using the same DNS server my PC uses.

Our IT people say that I have to tell the device to re-register its DNS name.  They told me a command to do it from Windows (command "ipconfig /registerdns"), but obviously this is VxWorks on the cRIO.  Is there a command to do this on the cRIO or a setting in the "NI-RT.INI" file I can change?  I honestly don't think this is the issue (as it successfully registered the new IP address under its name), but I want to try it if it's possible.

Thanks!
Erik

ps - Our IT dept. won't let me use static IPs unless I get them assigned by both their MAC address AND the network jack they're connected to, so that's out.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,010 Views)

Normally this is actually a function of your DNS server. It needs to perform a periodic flush of stale records. You can check the RFC for the DNS protocol and build the necessary packet yourself.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,005 Views)