LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of unused dependencies?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all.

Tearing my hair out here, (what's left of it). We have some very complex monitoring software written by someone else, many years ago, and now not available. I needed to turn the analysis section of it into a small standalone application so, rightly or wrongly (the latter, I suspect), I did a slash & burn on all the unwanted parts of the code until I was left with just the bit I need.

I have now ended up with a nice little working application, but it has hundreds and hundreds of dependencies, classes and sub vis that are no longer there.

In desperation I cut & pasted the main loop into a new vi and, if I make a new project with the vi in it, the dependencies are still there, despite there being no reference to them!

I'm afraid to say I don't understand why. The new code is tiny and has only one sub vi, no reference to any of the other 400 dependencies. I'm stumped. How to I get rid of the dependencies?

As I say, this is only a part of the application, but the whole thing isn't much bigger. vi is attached.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,974 Views)

Classes and Libraries could be one of your issues.  If even 1 VI or control from a library or class is used, then entire library or class is also loaded and will show up as a dependency.  This would indicate that it was not written with enough modularity.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,965 Views)

At least it is narrowed down to the subVI that you didn't include.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,961 Views)

OK, sorry, I should've said, it doesn't make any difference if that sub vi isn't there.

I have taken it out and posted the new version.

If I now create a new project from this vi, it has over 100 dependencies, despite there being hardly anything in the vi now, no sub vis that I can see.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,944 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ASH2020

@ASH2020 wrote:

OK, sorry, I should've said, it doesn't make any difference if that sub vi isn't there.

I have taken it out and posted the new version.

If I now create a new project from this vi, it has over 100 dependencies, despite there being hardly anything in the vi now, no sub vis that I can see.

Odd, I see nothing but dependencies on vi.lib as expected.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,941 Views)

This is what I see. Not hundreds of dependencies - just the few vi.lib dependencies that I would expect.

johntrich1971_0-1575399765028.png

Maybe you should zip and upload your entire project folder so that we can see what's going on.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,931 Views)

Phew, yes I see what's happened. Version 9 was hanging around in the background somewhere and when I created the project it added V9 and V10. V9 was the one that must've had some references to the class in it.

Sorry about the waste of time. I should be able to add modules in until I find the rogue one. Thanks for the help all.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,929 Views)

@ASH2020 wrote:

Phew, yes I see what's happened. Version 9 was hanging around in the background somewhere and when I created the project it added V9 and V10. V9 was the one that must've had some references to the class in it.

Sorry about the waste of time. I should be able to add modules in until I find the rogue one. Thanks for the help all.

It's not a waste of time.  Not coming here and not finding a solution - now that would have been a waste of time.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,925 Views)

@billko wrote:

@ASH2020 wrote:

It's not a waste of time.  Not coming here and not finding a solution - now that would have been a waste of time.

I agree with billko.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,923 Views)

Thanks again crossrulz, Bill and John.

Sometimes it just takes a little discussion and working through to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although sometimes, as they say, It's some **bleep** with a torch, bringing you more work! 🤣

Much obliged though, I think I can sort it from here.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 10 of 12
(2,906 Views)