LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I force a global update of a control?

Hi,

I posted a question awhile back about ring enumerations vs. normal enumerations because I need to use non-sequential numbering. Thanks for the responses, but it still appears that using the ring enum is the best bet. However, I am wondering - how can I force the application to do a global re-load of the control so that all controls in the VI have the most current values?

Thanks,

Jason
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,687 Views)
Sounds like you need to save the control as a typedef or strict typedef. When you make changes to a typedef, all the VIs that use the typedef will be updated. A strict typedef is "stricter" in that instances of the typedef must match the master in all respects - appearance as well as type.

Steven H.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,667 Views)
Thanks for the suggestion - I do that with enums. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for Ring enumerations because even if defined as as typedef or strict typedef, the newly added values do NOT show up in the control. So, that is why the question - how to force an update.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,664 Views)
You're right, and if you have to use a ring I can't think of a way to make them auto-update. Here's another thread on this topic that Greg McKaskle commented on.

Steven H.

Message Edited by Steven H. on 03-04-2005 05:21 PM

Message 4 of 5
(2,655 Views)
Thanks - I read that thread, but unfortunately, even using a strict typedef does not work. This actually appears to be a bug in LabView. I am going to try some other "tricks", such as adding and then removing something from the control, renaming the typedef, substituting a different one, then going back, etc. to see what happens.

Thanks,

Jason
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,634 Views)