LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I establish serial communication using LabView to two stepper motors using a motor controller?

I currently use an off the shelf motor controller to run my two stepper motors. It already has integrated a firmware software that sends commands to operate each motor. I would like to create an interface where I can send these commands using LabView. If someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,249 Views)
Did some sort of serial protocol ship with the engine driver? If that is the case you should be able to use LV's VISA functions to establish a connection and send commands.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,237 Views)
Yes I am able to send commands to the board and perform different functions to the stepper motor. I would like to know how to set up the LabView in order to establish the serial communication and send commands.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,228 Views)

Look at the examples for the serial VISA vi.  Something like Basic serial write and read.vi is a good starting point.

Have you searched for a LabVIEW driver  at the NI LV driver network?   Asked the vendor?

If you write your own driver with the serial VISA vis remember to open and configure the port only once at the beginning and close it at the end of your program. 

Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 07-13-2009 04:21 PM
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,227 Views)