From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create labview program for Mass flow controller

Hie,

I have to create a VI for Digital mass flow controller type MF1 from MKS, It has an mini USB setup interface and USB 2.0 Process interface there is  a command list which can be sent and we get a feedback of the same ,

it should 

•Calibrated to N2
•Apply gas correction factors
•Selectable gases: Ar, N2
•Assignable class: carrier gas, purge gas, reactant gas

I am not new to labview but I have no clue hw do I start with the programming which should also include gass correction factor could you please show me some example VI which I could refer too.
here is the attach instruction manual of the MFC
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(7,869 Views)

Hi Patel89,

You will have to communicate with the device as a USB RAW device. Check out the tutorial listed here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en/ 

Please note that you will be creating the VISA driver using the NI-VISA Driver Wizard.

Kind regards,

Rick Wagner

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(7,816 Views)

Actually, the manual says the device can appear as a normal serial interface so using the VISA wizard and USB RAW would be a huge mistake.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(7,799 Views)

True enough ...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(7,793 Views)

Yep ...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(7,791 Views)

Hi patel89,

as a start up for using VISA for serial communication, I would suggest you to have a look on this introduction/tutorial:

http://www.ni.com/support/visa/vintro.pdf

Moreover, in http://www.ni.com/support/visa/ you will find other resources such as LV examples and reading materials.

Best regards

Anoj Mubarak
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(7,770 Views)

I found this VI library. It is not for your device and it was from LabVIEW 5. However, I updated to LabVIEW 2013 and posted it. It should at least give you and example of this type of communication. The website I got it from attributes it to Thomas Roth. Hope it helps ...

Kind regards,

Rick Wagner

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(7,737 Views)

so I should use  USB INSTR Class (USBTMC)  which uses read and write instruction to communicate with my device

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(7,677 Views)
No, it's not USBTMC. Look at how the device is enumerated. The manual says it should be a serial device.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(7,660 Views)

Many instrument manufacturers are using chip sets that "convert" USB to a RS-232 serial port. One of the chip makers is FTDI. They provide a driver that shows up in the operating system (and MAX) as a serial port. However, if your device is not showing up as a serial port it may be because of a problem assigning the port number. Please look at the attached application note from Digalog Systems.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(7,610 Views)