LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I copy data from a LabVIEW table indicator to Excel?

How do I copy data from a LabVIEW table indicator to Excel?

I realise I can't just select cells and right click and copy to and then paste in Excel.  When I do I get an image of the LabVIEW indicator but want the data.

My question is not how to do it programatically but why would LabVIEW not follow "standard" windows philosophy on this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,026 Views)
As soon as someone explains what "standard Windows philosophy" is, then I can answer that question.

Programmaticaly, the easiest way is to simply write the table data to a spreadsheet file using the built-in Write Spreadsheet File. You can give it a filename ending in .xls and Excel will open it directly. Or, if you want to use ActiveX, there's an example that ships with LabVIEW that writes data to an Excel file. Open the Example Finder (Help->Find Example) and do a search for "Excel". I think it's called "Write to XL", or something like that. Note that the ActiveX route will be dependent on the version of Excel that you use.
Message 2 of 6
(4,013 Views)

Sorry, what I meant by "standard windows" was that in most applications if you can select something, you can do Ctl-C to copy it and go to another totally different application and do Ctrl-V in a document and the thing is copied.

When you select data in a LV Table indicator it looks like you're selecting values but when you paste it into Excel you get a picture.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,991 Views)
Ah, OK. Yes, that is annoying. In any event, try one of the methods I mentioned to see if they'll work for you.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,984 Views)

I realize this is a four years old post, but as far as I can tell it has not been answered yet.  I was struggling with the same issue and just found a solution, so it may be worthwhile pointing this out:

To copy data from a LabView indicator to Excel, use the Array to Spreadsheet String function from the String palette (I am using LabView 2009, but I think this function is also found in earlier versions).  You can then wire the output of this function to a front panel indicator, and then easily highlight, copy and paste the data from the front panel to an Excel worksheet as properly formatted numbers rather than an image.

Message 5 of 6
(3,431 Views)

Hello Aric,

I am a new LabVIEW user, could you please assisst me to fully understand how could copy the output from the indecator?

I obtain the output from the MATLAB script which is imported into LabVIEW , so in my case how cout copy the output ?

Thanks in advance,

Hiba 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,935 Views)