From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I convert my evaluation license to a VLM license?

I have installed an NI VLM and run vmlclient on my PC and run NI License Manager to point to the VLM, but when I run Labview it tells me it it still running on a evaluation license.

How do I get the software to check out a license from the VLM?

Best regards

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,058 Views)

Did you try to activate thro' the Ni Activation Wizard?

Di you read this & this?

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,051 Views)

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't believe that I need to 'activate' the license - I have a Volume License Agreement which i understand means that I do not need to go through this step.

However, I have done all the steps that are referred to in the pages that you mention.

When I run the license manager on the Client, I can see the central server and the licenses that are available - but I can change my evaluation license so that I'm getting a license from the server.

Dick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,043 Views)

Hi,

The way to check out a license from your VLM server, is to let the client to run vlmclient.exe (it is automatically run at the end of a VL software installer), and it will send a licensing request to the VLM server. Again, see this KB.

At the licensing server you will see a prompt in the VLM which you will need to manually accept the request to grant a license to the client.

You don't need to run the license manager on the client at all, everything is configured automatically by running vlmclient.exe, this is the app you need to run to get the license, do not tweak your License Manager.

Best regards,

Mark M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,021 Views)

Mark

That is how I would expect it to work - but it doesn't!

I've read countless KB articles but none resolve the problem.

Any other ideas?

Best regards

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,006 Views)

Richard,

I can think of other two things:

1) Check your network and firewall, make sure the inbound port that VLM uses is not blocked on the server.

2) Re-create the VL installer and run the vlmclient.exe again on the client.

Have you tried with another machine? If the problem is speicifc to one machine, use a disconnected license can temporarily resolve this.

Best regards,

Mark M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,000 Views)

Mark

When I examine the license server details from the License manager on the client, I can see that I have 9 licenses with 0 in use - so I assume that the port is open. 

And I have re-created the vlminstaller and run vlmclient again.

At the moment I am running the client on my laptop with with server on the same (local) network - but other users are experiencing the same issue.

best regards

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,997 Views)