From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I communicate with the Tektronix TDS2024 using LabView 7.0 and the GIB

I am trying to use labview to control my Tektronix TDS2024 using Labview 7.0. I have downloaded the IEEE 488.2 (GPIB) driver here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E9139659CE034080020E748...
for labview 7.0.

I am trying to just run the "getting started" example. When I press Run, i get the following error:

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Write in TKTDS1K2K Initialize.vi->Untitled 6

and the possible reason:

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,531 Views)
A timeout with a write points to some sort of hardware problem with the GPIB connection. In MAX, did you successfully do a scan for instruments and did the *IDN? query work there?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,527 Views)
No, I have not. How do I do that?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,523 Views)

Assuming that you have an NI GPIB controller, this should all have been listed in the instructions you got with the board.

Anyway, open MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) and find your GPIB controller listed under Devices and Interfaces. right click on it and select Scan for Instruments.

Message 4 of 6
(3,520 Views)
Ok, it was not found. I'll try reconnecting everything. Or could there be another problem elsewhere?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,517 Views)
There could be a couple of reasons. You could have a bad cable. The instrument might not be set for GPIB (i.e it could be set for serial), the instrument could have a bad GPIB interface, the GPIB controller itself might be bad. If you have another instrument and a different cable, you can narrow it down some.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,514 Views)