LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come you can not use more than 126GB of a 1.5TB diskdrive with LabVIEW Real Time?

Solved!
Go to solution

How come you can not use more than 126GB of a 1.5TB diskdrive with LabVIEW Real Time?

This is only 8.3% of the available disk drive space!

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E7E2F5657B6026358625750B007201A6?OpenDocument

National Instrument's solution is either reformat you drive to less than 126GB or replace the drive with one less than that size.

Please NI, tell me you are going to fix your LabVIEW Real Time soon, and that we won't have to wait for LabVIEW RT 9.2.1 in 2011 for this one to be fixed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Hard_drive_capacity_over_time.svg

Drives as large as 126GB or more have been around since about mid 2002.  That's about 7 Years now and LabVIEW Real Time STILL can't use drives larger that 126GB!  Please NI.  Do something.

We deserve fixes to the old versions of LabVIEW RT.  How about updates to LabVIEW RT.  Such as 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.6.2, 8.0.2, 8.2.2, 8.6.2.

We don't need new features or versions of LabVIEW RT such as 9.0 until we have some of bugs fixed in the existing versions. 

Kevin. 

Message Edited by kmcdevitt on 05-29-2009 03:39 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 100
(4,905 Views)

Are you so sure that problem is with LabVIEW RealTime?

I would bet dealing with large size disk drives is an issue with the operating system being used and not LabVIEW.

Message 2 of 100
(4,874 Views)
NI is not making the Real Time OS in house. I do not remember which firm that is making it. Anyway you are allowed to use a hard drive that has been partitioned. And 126GB is some space is it not? I remember Bill Gates declared one time that 640Kb ram should be more than enough for any PC application also in the future Smiley Very Happy

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 3 of 100
(4,859 Views)

LabVIEW RealTime is the operating system.

LV RT is the OS and it is a NI product sold by them.

Ravens Fan, I am surprised that you are not aware of that.

Have you ever actually used NI product LV RT?

Kevin. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 100
(4,814 Views)

kmcdevitt wrote:

LabVIEW RealTime is the operating system.

LV RT is the OS and it is a NI product sold by them.

Ravens Fan, I am surprised that you are not aware of that.

Have you ever actually used NI product LV RT?

Kevin. 

NO.

LabVIEW Realtime is the LabVIEW software that runs on top of the realtime operating system.

The realtime operating system is either Pharlap or another operating system I can't think of the name of right now.

And Yes I have used LV RT with a compact Fieldpoint controllers.

Message 5 of 100
(4,804 Views)

I think the other RTOS is vxworks.

Message 6 of 100
(4,803 Views)

Here is a list explaining which RTOS is used by Labview

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D85F9139AEB88F188625745700569E8D

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 7 of 100
(4,794 Views)

Coq rouge wrote:
NI is not making the Real Time OS in house. I do not remember which firm that is making it. Anyway you are allowed to use a hard drive that has been partitioned. And 126GB is some space is it not? I remember Bill Gates declared one time that 640Kb ram should be more than enough for any PC application also in the future Smiley Very Happy

Coq Rouge (formerly t06afre),

The RealTime OS is an NI Product that is purchased from NI.

NI may or may not outsource design, developement, or manufacturing of the products that it sells under its own Company name.

For this reason I would be concerned if I were a PXI Embedded Controller designer/developer in the United States. 

Yes, 126GB is some space.  I see that there are now 2TB drives available.  126GB would be 6.3% of a new 2TB drive.  Should we all be happy with being able to use 6.3% of the available drive space.  Moore's Law seams to be alive and well.  Drives larger than 126GB have been readily available for 5 or 6 Years.  This should not be a surprise to NI.  Why don't they do something about it.

Thanks for the trivia on Bill Gates.  I must have missed that one since I don't try to keep up with Microsoft.  I believe that he is a wonderful person and he and his family are doing wonders for the world in their "retirement".   The world needs more like him.

What I do remember is Steve Jobs telling us that we would never need more that 128MB and that we would never to need to do anymore software development because everything was already in the "ToolBox".

McKevin.  

Message 8 of 100
(4,768 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

NO.

LabVIEW Realtime is the LabVIEW software that runs on top of the realtime operating system.

The realtime operating system is either Pharlap or another operating system I can't think of the name of right now.

And Yes I have used LV RT with a compact Fieldpoint controllers.

Ravens Fan,
You are missing the point.  National Instruments sells the LabVIEW RealTime OS.  THEIR LV RT can not safely use partitions greater than 126GB which represents a very small portion of todays available hard drives.  If you use larger partitions, then your data can/may/will be corrupted.
Drives larger that the 126GB have been available for 5 or 6 years.
Ravens Fan, don't you think that NI should fix this bug?
McKevin. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 100
(4,762 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:

I think the other RTOS is vxworks.

Good for you Dennis about the "vxworks".

However, don't you think that NI should fix this 6 year old bug.

I think that they must have known about it for some time now.

Let's put is to a vote.

I vote YES.  NI should fix the 126GB LV RT bug.

Whats you vote Dennis? 

McKevin. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 100
(4,762 Views)