LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I view .vi's within an executable?

Solved!
Go to solution

Programming changes are required for a LabVIEW application.  The application is built as an executable file (LabVIEW 7.1).  Is there a way to access the .vi's and modify them or am I stuck having to rebuild the application from scratch?  I am using LabVIEW 8.5 (FDS).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,966 Views)
When you build an application the block diagram is removed. (In LabVIEW 8 you can create an executable with the block diagrams to create an executable with debugging enabled.) You need the source code.
Message 2 of 10
(2,960 Views)

Hi Paul,

as far as i know you can only view the files. If it's LabVIEW 7.1 as you said, then you can rename the exe to llb and see the vi's in the exe. I never tried to replace them, but i think it's not possible.

Mike

Message 3 of 10
(2,959 Views)

So I can get a listing of the .vi's within the .exe, but not see the block diagrams? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author epster88
While you will probably be able to extract the VIs by changing the extension to .llb, and actually use them in a new VI, you won't be able to modify them. You need the source code.
Message 5 of 10
(2,928 Views)
I just attempted to change an exe to a .llb.  Labview can open it, however no VIs are displayed, not even a list of what are in it. (I'm using labview 8.5)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,923 Views)
The ability to do that only applies to LabVIEW 7.x and earlier (though I'm not sure how far back it goes).The OP indicated they have a LabVIEW 7.1 executable.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 03-03-2009 11:05 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,919 Views)
Yeah...I read that right after I replied. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,915 Views)

I renamed the .exe and was able to pull up the list of .vi's but recieved a message that the .vi was not loadable.  (see attached)

Oh well.  I'll try again to find the person that created the .exe and see if they still have the code.

Kudos to smercurio and Mike for taking the time to help.

Have a good one.

Paul

Message Edited by epster88 on 03-03-2009 12:38 PM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,891 Views)
Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't 100% clear in my statement about being able to use them. You'd be able to use them in a new VI in the same version of LabVIEW as what created the executable. Whenever you open a VI created with an earlier version of LabVIEW, LabVIEW will recompile the VI, but it can't do that if there's no block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,880 Views)